The Digital Humanities at Oxford Summer School (DHOxSS) is a major annual international training event at the University of Oxford. DHOxSS is the largest Digital Humanities summer school in Europe. In 2015, it had 163 participants and 87 speakers, across 8 week-long workshop strands. In 2016 DHOxSS will run 4–8 July 2016, based at St Hugh's College.
Workshop strands run in parallel for 5 days, totalling about 22.5 hours of teaching each (pending finalized timetable). Workshop organizers are responsible for delivering this tuition. Participants' learning is broadened over the week through 5 hours of additional lectures, which are arranged by the DHOxSS Organizational Committee.
DHOxSS is delighted to invite speakers and organizers to some of the summer school’s evening events, for example the research poster and drinks reception, in acknowledgement of their work and to encourage collegiality amongst speakers, organizers, and participants. There is no payment available from DHOxSS for either organizers or speakers. We typically cover travel and accommodation expenses for speakers outside Oxford.
This is a call for both workshop organizers and those wishing to give these additional lectures.
Digital Humanities at Oxford Summer School 2016 - FAQs
- When will registration open? Registration will open in March 2016
- When will registration close? Registration will close on Monday 6 June 2016 at midnight GMT, though some workshops may sell out earlier.
- How do I register? Follow the instructions on the registration page once registration has opened. You must set up an account with the University of Oxford's online store.
- How much does registration cost? We have not released the rates for DHOxSS 2016 yet. The rates for DHOxSS 2015 were as follows:
- The full commercial rate is 695 pounds.
- The rate for those who work for education institutions, libraries, charities, or not-for-profit organisations in any capacity is 590 pounds (a 15% discount).
- The rate for those who are students of any institution at any level is 485 pounds (a 30% discount).
- The rate for those who are staff or students at the collegiate University of Oxford is also 485 pounds (a 30% discount).
- Are there discounts available? The fees are already discounted for Academic/Education/NFP (15% discount), Students (30% discount), and Students/Staff of the University of Oxford (30% discount). There are also discounts for group booking, please see the registration page for more information.
- Are there bursaries available? We do not yet have information on whether there will be bursaries for DHOxSS 2016. For DHOxSS 2015 we were able to offer a limited number of bursaries (from separate funding) for a small number of Oxford Researchers.
- Will I get a certificate? Yes, you will be issued a certificate listing your workshop.
- Will I be able to get a space on the workshop I want? All of the workshops will have set maximum numbers. If a particular workshop sells out we will set up a waiting list for that workshop. Book early to avoid disappointment.
- Can the DHOxSS events team reserve me a place on the workshop (while I find out if I can get funding, etc.)? No. This would not be fair on other delegates.
- Can you tell me if the workshop I want is filling up? We will post notices on the workshop pages noting whether they are full, filling up quickly, or have spaces left.
- Is the provided accommodation full? No bookings for accommodation have been taken yet. You will be able to book this with your DHOxSS registration.
- Do I have to book accommodation? Accommodation is not provided as part of the registration fee. If you need accommodation, you may add it to your registration when booking. Accommodation is primarily at St Hugh's and St Anne's College.
- How much does DHOxSS accommodation cost? The rate for DHOxSS accommodation has not been set yet.
- Am I guaranteed accommodation? No. There is a limited amount of accommodation. We encourage you to book early to ensure your workshop choice and accommodation.
- Can I get something else other than a single ensuite room? Not by booking via DHOxSS. If you have other needs you may wish to book your accommodation separately. (See below.)
- Is there child care at DHOxSS? DHOxSS itself is unable to provide child care. We can only refer you tohttp://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/childcare/ as a source of information.
- Where else can I stay? For those who wish to book different accommodation, you are responsible for booking your own accommodation. The DHOxSS events staff are not able to help you with this. Other sources for accommodation information in Oxford include Oxford Rooms and DailyInfo.
- Where are the teaching locations? All teaching locations for DHOxSS 2016 are within a short walk of each other. The main venues will be St Hugh's College and IT Services, Banbury Road and the Oxford e-Research Centre.
- How do I get from Heathrow or Gatwick airport? We recommend flying into Heathrow airport if you have the choice. Transport to and from Heathrow and Gatwick http://airline.oxfordbus.co.uk/, and Stansted http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/airport/london-stansted-airport.aspx
- How do I take the train to Oxford? Please see http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/, http://www.rail.co.uk/ orhttp://www.thetrainline.com/
- How do I take a coach from London? See http://www.oxfordtube.com/ or http://x90.oxfordbus.co.uk/
- Can I get a parking space at one of the venues? There is no parking available at any of the teaching locations. If you need parking please consult the following webpage: http://www.oxford.gov.uk/PageRender/decTS/Car_Parks_occw.htm
- Can I get a weekly bus pass? While most delegates will not need to take the bus to get between locations, if you want a weekly bus pass the Oxford Bus Company does do a weekly 'Key' smartcard but this should be arranged in advance with them
- Can I rent a bicycle? For those looking to hire bicycles, you may do so from Bainton Bikes amongst other rental agencies.
- Where can I find information on each workshop? Please see the workshops page.
- Is my workshop full? Each individual workshop page will indicate if it is full, filling up, or has space available.
- Do I need a laptop for my workshop? Some of the individual workshops will be run using delegate's own laptops. A full list of these as well as guidance on laptop use will be posted before booking opens. If you do not have a suitable laptop please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for advice before booking.
- Can I change workshop partway through the week? This is strongly discouraged. Any delegate wishing to change workshop may do so only by applying for permission to the DHOxSS administration at email@example.com. Workshop changes made after registration will incur an administration charge. All delegates have lanyards colour coded to their particular workshop.
- Where can I find information on the lectures? Please see the lectures page
- I signed up for Lecture X and now I want to go to lecture Y. Can I switch on the day? Usually we can accommodate this, however you must give other delegates priority in case the lecture is booked to capacity. Please check firstname.lastname@example.org to be sure, or just make sure everyone else can get a seat first.
- Will the lectures be recorded? Yes! The morning keynotes and additional lectures will be recorded and made available on http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk and ItunesU for watching later. They will be released under a Creative Commons license.
- Are there recordings from previous years? Yes. Please see: http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/digital-humanities-oxford-summer-school