“Us vs. Them: Populism, the Refugee Other and the Re-Consideration of National Identity in Central and Eastern Europe”
Conference hosted by the Center for European Neighborhood Studies (CENS), Central European University, Budapest and the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung in Budapest
Within this context, the conference encourages papers on the following topics:
- instrumentalization of migration crisis in national politics in the CEE region and along the Balkan route
- populism, nationalism, democratic backsliding along the Balkan route
- rise of religious components in nation/political community conceptualization
- radicalization of the young generation
- increasing use of discriminatory entitlements/privileging (haves/have nots) in policy making discourse
- connection between migration/refugees crisis and domestic/foreign policy making
We invite both theoretical and empirical papers that offer policy-relevant insights. Empirical papers taking a comparative perspective are particularly welcome.
A honoraria of 200 EUR is offered for papers accepted if submitted by the deadline (see below).
Travel and accommodation will be covered for participants.
How to submit a paper proposal
Applicants are invited to submit abstracts of up to 300 words and short bio to firstname.lastname@example.org by 24 April 2017. Accepted papers will be announced by 28 April 2017. A total of 6-8 papers will be selected for two panels.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.