The idea of creating a digital gallery of prints and drawings has in recent years become a reality on a global scale – for example the virtual gallery of the Herzog Anton Ulrich-Museum in Braunschweig and the Herzog August Bibliothek in Wolfenbüttel (www.virtuelles-kupferstichkabinett.de). A collaborative project of these two institutions, along with the University of Marburg - Bildarchiv Foto Marburg and the University of Göttingen, is currently linking the online publication of prints and drawings from the collections of Braunschweig and Wolfenbüttel with iconographic indexing and academic research into the early modern collecting of prints.
The conference will take as its starting point two key questions. How can research into the history of art collecting and digital indexing work together to form a mutually beneficial partnership? How can indexing adapt to the demands of the research community?
Papers on the following subjects and case studies will be welcome:
• The theory and practice of collecting in the early modern period
• Case studies: religious and secular orders, private individuals, artists and universities as collectors of graphic arts
• Networks and trade structures: art agents, dealers, advisers
• The indexing and publicising of graphic collections: from the ‘Recueil’ to the online database
• How can indexing and online publication adapt to the demands of the research community?
• The functionality and organisational systems of graphic collections
• The research and documentation of provenances
We invite proposals for 20-minute papers devoted to the subjects mentioned above.
Proposals (maximum of 500 words) with the title of the paper, institutional affiliation (if applicable), postal and email address and a short CV can be sent up to 30 November 2015 to: email@example.com.
Organisers: Herzog August Bibliothek in Wolfenbüttel, Herzog Anton Ulrich-Museum in Braunschweig, University of Göttingen
(Georg-August-Universität Göttingen) - Kunstgeschichtliches Seminar und Kunstsammlung, University of Marburg (Philipps-Universität Marburg) - Deutsches Dokumentationszentrum für Kunstgeschichte - Bildarchiv Foto Marburg
Location: Herzog August Bibliothek in Wolfenbüttel, Herzog Anton Ulrich-Museum in Braunschweig
Dates: 20-22 October, 2016
Length: 3 days
Languages: German and English
Deadline for submission of paper proposals: 30 November 2015
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: