About the Society for the Medieval Mediterranean Conference
The fifth biennial conference of the Society for the Medieval Mediterranean will take place at Ghent University from Monday 10th July to Wednesday 12th July 2017.
The theme of the conference is “Communities, Imaginations and Emotions in the Medieval Mediterranean”. We welcome papers from all disciplines that study emotions, imaginations and communities in, of and across the Medieval Mediterranean. This theme invites a variety of lines of inquiry, a number of which are suggested below. How were emotions produced, expressed and communicated? To what end were imaginations used and abused? In what ways were communities perceived and understood? What communalities and particularities are there? Which challenges do the literary, historical, archaeological and other sources pose in this respect?
The keynotes will be delivered by Professor Marina Rustow (Princeton) and Professor Nikolas Jaspert (Heidelberg).
Topics of the Conference
Topics of the conference include, but are by no means limited to:
- Emotional and imagined communities
- Selfing and othering
- Identity and alterity, senses of belonging, ties that bond
- Memory, nostalgia and the imagined or idealized past
- Mirabilia, wonders and magic
- Worldviews and other social schemata
- Mobility across borders
- Emotional and communal dimensions to identity
- Honour and shame, social codes and values
- Emotions bodily felt, orally expressed
- Reading and sharing emotions
- Methodological problems when inquiring emotions and imaginations
Abstracts for individual papers and proposals for panels should be emailed to the conference email address (email@example.com) by Monday 31st October 2016. Applicants will be notified regarding the acceptance of their paper or panel by January 2017.
Please consider the following important dates:
- October 31 2016: deadline for submission of paper and panel proposals
- November – December 2016: review of the submitted proposals
- January 2017: notification of acceptance of papers and panels
- February 2017: first draft of the conference program
- February 2017: early bird & regular registration is open!
- March 15 2017: early bird registration ends!
- May 31 2017: regular registration ends!
- June 2017: final conference program
For more detailed information please click on "Further Official Information" below.