Center for American Archeology Women in Archeology Internship Program
The Center for American Archeology (CAA), Kampsville, IL, invites applications for four Women in Archeology Internship positions for the 2016 field season, May 29 – August 18. This internship is for women undergraduates, graduate students, and archeologists in the early stages of their careers with at least six weeks of field and laboratory experience. Individuals interested in public archeology, museum education, and other closely related fields are encouraged to apply. Successful candidates will be team-players with a strong work ethic, communication skills, and a passion for archeology and engaging students and the public.
Funded by a generous grant from the Monticello College Foundation, the Women in Archeology Internship provides an opportunity for participants to enhance their professional skills in research planning, field and laboratory supervision, teaching, and public outreach as part of the CAA’s award-winning programs. Interns will work with CAA archeologists as key supervisory and teaching personnel in our High School Field School, Adult Field School, weekend adult and family programs, and Archeology Day. Interns will also be responsible for creating a research paper or poster to be presented at the 2016 Midwest Archaeological Conference. Interns will receive travel support to participate in the conference.
Excavations will take place at the Golden Eagle site (11C120). Golden Eagle is the only known prehistoric site with an earthen enclosure in the Illinois River Valley. In 2013, CAA archeologists conducted large-scale geophysical surveys across the site, revealing intact archeological deposits, including evidence of the ditch-and-embankment enclosure that surrounds most of the site. Field excavation in 2014 and 2015 revealed evidence of building sequences within the embankment, confirming its anthropogenic nature. We’ll continue to investigate Golden Eagle in 2016.
Interns will receive a $2000 stipend, room, and board for the 10 week program. The meal plan includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner Monday-Friday. Interns will also receive $500 to attend the 2016 Midwest Archaeological Conference. Interns are responsible for providing their own transportation to and from our area, as well as personal spending money.
- Applicants must be one of the following:
- an advanced undergraduate (junior or senior standing),
- a graduate student (including those beginning graduate school in the 2016-2017 academic year),
- or in the early stages of their career (B.A. within the past four years).
- At least six weeks of archeological field and laboratory experience is required.
- All interns must be 21 years or older by the start of the program.
- A valid drivers license is required.
The selection process will consider your statement of interest, recommendation from professor/instructor, and curriculum vitae.
The following materials should be submitted to the Center for American Archeology for consideration and received no later than April 15, 2016 by midnight CTS:
- Internship Application Form
- Cover letter/Statement of interest in which you describe yourself, why you would like to participate in the program, your career goals, what benefit this program will be to you, and how your participation will enhance our program.
- Curriculum vitae: you must include your current school or alma mater; current contact information, including email address, mailing address, and phone number, and where we can reach you if you are away from school;
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended.
- One letter of recommendation from a professor/instructor who can comment on your interests and abilities.
If you have previous experience working with the public, please describe this experience in your statement of interest. Previous teaching experience or experience interacting with children and adults of all ages is not required, but is considered in the selection process.
Your professor/instructor may enclose their letters in sealed envelopes and return it to you for mailing, or send them directly to the addresses below.
Send all application material to:
orWomen in Archeology Internship Program
Center for American Archeology
P.O. Box 366
Kampsville, IL 62053
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: