PhD Scholarship applications are now open
Brain Research New Zealand aims to recruit world class young scientists and physician-scientists who wish to extend their knowledge and experience in research related to the ageing-brain and ageing-related neurological disorders, in order to pursue a successful career in neuroscience and/or medicine.
We are now offering up to 9 fully funded PhD scholarships to be taken up in 2016. The PhD scholarships are intended for students possessing an outstanding academic record or very good Honours or Master's degree (or qualified equivalent) to undertake highly innovative neuroscience research projects that relate to the ageing brain.
The selection process will include the following steps:
- Applicants will complete the application form and send it to BRNZ, along with a letter of support from their proposed supervisor and a copy of their most recent academic transcript.
- The selection committee will shortlist the top-ranked students for recommendation to the BRNZ Directorate.
- The Directorate will meet to review the top-ranked applications. The Co-Directors will announce the final decision in late December and the successful candidates will start their PhD studies in early 2016.
Guidelines for students
The scholarships are open to students with an outstanding academic record or those who have completed their Honours or Masters degree (or any equivalent level of study allowing them to enrol in a PhD programme) and who wish to carry out innovative research related to the ageing brain.
The PhD must be undertaken at one of the following institutions: the Universities of Otago, Canterbury, Auckland, or AUT and supervised by one of BRNZ’s Principal Investigators.
Closing date for applications: Monday 23 November 2015 at 5pm, New Zealand time
- How and when do students learn of the decision? Selection of PhD candidates will be made in late December 2015. Because some applicants may decline a scholarship, it is possible that some applicants receive their notification of selection a week after the final decision.
- Scholarship value : $28,000 per annum, plus tuition fees and $6000 per annum in working expenses.
- Tenure of award : 3 years.
Official documents and application form
(2.6 MB, PDF)
(2.5 MB, PDF)
(1.5 MB, MSWORD)