Black Warrior Review is named for the river that borders the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Established in 1974 by graduate students in the MFA Program in Creative Writing, BWR is the oldest continuously-run literary journal produced by graduate students in the United States.
BWR publishes fiction, nonfiction, poetry, comics, and art twice a year. Contributors include Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award winners alongside emerging writers. Work appearing in BWR has been reprinted in the Pushcart Prize series, Best American Short Stories, Best American Poetry, New Stories from the South, and other anthologies.
- Fiction Judge: Sofia Samatar
- Nonfiction Judge: T Clutch Fleischmann
- Poetry Judge: Hoa Nguyen
- Submit your work through online submission. We do not accept mailed or emailed submissions.
- Upload your submission as a .docx or .pdf.
- There is a $20 entry fee for each submission ($30 for international submissions). All entrants receive a one-year subscription to BWR as a thank-you for your interest and support.
To apply online, please click on the "Further official information" below.