The BGHS doctoral programme is both taught and tailored to the needs of the individual doctoral researcher. The programme consists of:
- a curriculum that covers a variety of research areas
- a programme duration of between three to four years
- integration of stays in archives or abroad and for research purposes
- flexible, individual supervision arrangements
- preparation for a career after graduation
- room for student initiative and individual interests
Among the distinctive features of the School's doctoral programme are specific class formats such as its Research Classes, the Research Retreat, the Interdisciplinary Seminar, the Interdisciplinary Colloquium and the Study Groups.
The doctoral programme at the BGHS is formally completed after the successful submission of a scholarly study (dissertation) and the oral defence of the same ('disputation') at the Faculty of Sociology or the Faculty of History, Philosophy and Theology. After the successful completion of the programme, the students are awarded the grade of 'Dr. phil.'. For more information on how to formally start the actual graduation process click here.