2017 ABR Elizabeth Jolley Short Story Prize
Australian Book Review welcomes entries in the 2017 ABR Elizabeth Jolley Short Story Prize, one of the world’s leading prizes for an original short story. We are seeking stories of between 2,000 and 5,000 words, written in English. Stories must not have been previously published or be on offer to other prizes or publications for the duration of the Jolley Prize. The Jolley Prize is open to anyone in the world who is writing in English.
The 2017 Jolley Prize is worth a total of $12,500, with a first prize of $7,000 and supplementary prizes of $2,000 and $1,000. The judges will also commend three additional stories, the authors of which will each receive $850.
Entries close at midnight 10 April 2017.
The first prize is $7,000 with supplementary prizes of $2,000 and $1,000. All three shortlisted stories will be published in the magazine. The commended stories will be published subsequently.
Authors are encouraged to enter their stories online, but postal entries will still be accepted using the form.
Online entry (current ABR subscriber) - $15
Online entry (full-time student) - $15
Online entry (standard/non subscriber) - $25*
* Non-subscribers will receive ABR Online free of charge for three months from entry.
Special online entry + subscription bundles
Subsequent entries may be submitted at the subscriber rate
Online entry + ABR Online subscription - $50
Online entry + Print subscription (Australia) - $95
Online entry + Print subscription (NZ and Asia) - $140
Online entry + Print subscription (Rest of World) - $155
ABR will publish the three shortlisted stories in the 2017 August Fiction Issue and announce the overall winner at a special event later that month. Three commended stories will also be published later in the year.
Terms and conditions
- Entries must be a single story of 2,000 to 5,000 words, written in English.
- Multiple entries are permitted.
- Entries must be original works written by an individual author.
- Entries must not infringe upon anyone’s copyright.
- Entries that are deemed to be works of plagiarism will be disqualified.
- Entries should not be on offer to other publications or prizes or anthologies for the duration of the Jolley Prize.
- Previously published, prize-winning, or broadcast stories will not be accepted. (Previous online appearances constitute prior publication.) Entries will be deemed ineligible if they are under contract to another publisher or broadcaster.
- Stories entered but not shortlisted in past Jolley Prizes may be re-entered.
- Translations are not eligible.
- The closing date for entries is midnight, 10 April 2017.
- If entrants subsequently withdraw their entries, the entry fee will not be refunded.
- Shortlisted authors may be required to take part in events and media activities.
- The prize money also covers publication in ABR Online and the print edition.
- Copyright in the story (or stories) remains with the entrant.
ABR gratefully acknowledges Mr Ian Dickson's generous support for the Jolley Prize.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: