ATALAIA - Associação de Amigos da Cultura e das Artes (ATALAIA), the Municipality of Aljustrel and the Municipality of Ourique (the Municipalities) and the Regional Directorate of Culture of Alentejo / Ministry of Culture (DRCA) are opening an international call for the reception of proposals for creation residencies and public presentation during the fourth edition of Atalaia Artes Performativas (AAP) for projects in the areas of the performing arts. AAP is supported by DGArtes and has as institutional partners: the Faculdade de Ciências Humanas e Sociais and the Centro de Investigação em Artes e Comunicação da Universidade do Algarve; the Laboratório HERCULES da Universidade de Évora and the Centro de Estudos em Arqueologia, Artes e Ciências do Património, da Universidade de Coimbra.
MISSION AND OBJECTIVES
The AAP intends to give creative space and promote nearness and exchange between creators and leading figures in the area of contemporary performing arts and the community of the interior of Southern Alentejo. As main goals we defend:
a) the education by art, bringing up other artistic visions, new and different, to this region of Alentejo and promoting the interaction and influence of the local socio-cultural reality as well, in the creative process, once artists live and work here during the creation residencies;
b) the fulfillment of a diversified cultural program and representative of the different geographies and aesthetic sensibilities;
c) to promote the creation of informal networks dedicated to the innovation and artistic research;
d) to revaluation of several inactive spaces/places in cultural terms;
e) the involvement of the community in the artistic creation, as well as stimulating the community to this collective experience, developing of the sense of cultural community and of reciprocity;
f) the creation of audiences towards the contemporary art.
1) Reception of applications: from 18 January 2017 to 20 March 2017;
2) Analysis and selection of applications: from 21 to 31 March 2017;
3) Publication of results: 1 April 2017;
4) Creation residencies period: from 1 May 2017 to 29 June 2017;
5) Festival period: from 30 June 2017 to 16 July 2017;
The open call is launched on January 18, 2017 and ends on March 20, 2017. The results will be published on April 1, 2017.
a) applications must be submitted only through an online form created for this purpose, published on our website and on several
national and international platforms;
b) applications must be in Portuguese or English;
c) applications submitted after March 20, 2017 will not be considered;
d) the results will be published on our website and on AAP social networks. Only selected projects will be contacted directly and individually. There will be no appeal from the jury's decision.
Up to 8 projects will be selected to the creation residencies and final presentation in Aljustrel and Ourique:
1) the selected projects will be developed during the creation residency, having no more than a two months extent and no less than four weeks, running from May 01 to June 29, 2017;
2) public presentations will take place between June 30 and July 16, 2017;
3) the selected projects should constitute concrete projects of work and research that include, at least, a public presentation in the places where they will be developed;
4) working propositions involving specific cores of local community – scholar, senior and other cores to be selected through criteria defined by the artists – will be most welcome.
Individual or collective creators, national and international, over 18 years of age, who, independently of their training and through the information presented, demonstrate to have a trajectory or project of artistic exploration in the field of performing arts. Performative arts encompass all artistic domains of performative character, such as dance, theater, performance, music, visual arts, multimedia and new circus, regardless of the means used by the creators. It is up to the artistic direction of the AAP to define and propose the location (s) where the residency and the public presentation (s) of each project will take place.
The applications evaluated by the jury must respect three fundamental criteria:
1) be a project of experimentation-investigation within the performing arts;
2) demonstrate a good relationship between conceptualization, execution, technical and artistic feasibility;
3) present, in a creative way, a relevant and stimulating action for and with the local community.
The selected projects will be entitled to:
- accommodation in a shared room;
- food: breakfast, lunch and dinner;
- a guided visit to the counties of Aljustrel and Ourique;
- shared workspace, with wireless internet;
- space of rehearsals and public presentation(s);
- technical support within the limits of the AAP team's capabilities;
- displacement between the Municipalities during the festival period.
National and international:
It is the full responsibility of the selected project to ensure national and / or international travel to and from the villages of Aljustrel and Ourique. ATALAIA will share with the selected project all the necessary information to support the preparation of these trips.
It is for ATALAIA to ensure transport between Aljustrel and Ourique villages, as well as between any parishes where one may develop any initiatives. Displacements within these two villages are the responsibility of the selected project.
COMMUNICATION, DISSEMINATION, AUDIOVISUAL AND PHOTOGRAPHIC RECORDING
ATALAIA is responsible for the dissemination of the projects on social networks, press, radio and television, using digital and printed media. ATALAIA will make a photographic and audiovisual record of work processes, initiatives with the community and final presentations. The selected project expressly authorizes the audiovisual and photographic record and use of her/his image and the image of her/his work for the purposes of promotion, and inclusion in the final documentary of the edition in which he or she participated. The audio-visual and photographic collected will not be, in any case, used for commercial purposes.
The selected project is solely responsible for the purchase of travel insurance, personal accident and liability. ATALAIA is not responsible for individual insurance of each selected project or their works / material.
The participation on the Atalaia Artes Performativas 2017 implies the full acceptance of this Regulation by the selected project, who will sign a cooperation term upon arrival.
ATALAIA reserves the right to decide, in the manner it deems most appropriate, any situation not provided for in this regulation.
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: