A range of graduate research scholarships are available for graduate researchers undertaking a higher degree by research at Victoria University.
International Now open 30 September 2016
Domestic 1 Sept 2016 28 October 2016
Please note: If your application is not dependent upon a main round graduate research scholarship you can apply for a research degree at any time throughout the year. In addition to these scholarships there are a range of other options for funding your research degree.
Which scholarship do I apply for?
Applicants need only submit one application to be considered for a graduate research scholarship.
All international applicants will be considered for the IPRS, VUIPRS and College Centenary Postgraduate Research Scholarships and are not required to nominate a particular scholarship on their application form.
All domestic applicants will be considered for the APA, VUPRS and Vice Chancellors Graduate Research Award. Domestic students are only required to nominate on the scholarship application form if they are applying for the Diversity scholarship.
How to apply for a research scholarship?
Step 1: Select a degree
Research scholarship applicants must specify which research degree they are applying for and the College they will be studying within.
Masters by Research: build on skills and knowledge from an undergraduate degree.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): conduct research that leads to new knowledge or re-interprets existing ideas, theories and approaches.
Professional Doctorates: focus on issues in a particular profession and develop your ability to conduct independent research that makes an original contribution to improving practice. Research scholarships are offered for the following Professional
- Doctor of Business Administration
- Doctor of Education (Australian residents only)
Students within Year 1 of the PhD (Integrated) are not eligible for a scholarship but are able to apply for Year 2 onwards.
Step 2: Check your eligibility for a graduate research scholarship
Eligibility for scholarships varies depending on the scholarship, and whether you are a domestic applicant (defined as an Australian citizen/permanent resident/New Zealand citizen) or an international applicant.
Information about eligibility is available on the graduate research scholarships page which can be found in the "Further official information" link below this article.
Step 4: Review our Areas of Research Focus
Applications are ranked on the basis of merit with preference given to applicants who pursue a research degree in one of Victoria University’s areas of research focus.
As a graduate research scholarship applicant you are required (within the application form) to name the Research Focus Area which most closely aligns with your area of research.
- Applied Informatics
- Creative Arts & Writing
- Diversity, Communities & Wellbeing
- Education & Lifelong Learning
- Food Sciences & Nutrition
- Health & Biomedicine
- Sport, exercise Science & Active Living
- Strategic Economics & Finance
- Supply Chain & Logistics
- Sustainability & Innovation
Step 5: Prepare your Research Proposal and CV
All Higher Degree by Research applicants are required to prepare a research proposal for submission.
Your research proposal should be 1- 2 pages (typed, A4) containing:
- Title of the research proposal
- Name and College of your nominated supervisor (on the title page)
- Significance of the research
- Methodology and research techniques
- Facilities and equipment required
Your CV should include:
- your educational qualifications
- most relevant and up to date professional work experience
- a list or recent research publications, if applicable.
Step 6: Submit your application
Before you submit your application:
- Review the information in the Graduate Scholarship Application Guide (see "Further official information" below the article)
- Download How to complete the graduate scholarship application form(see "Further official information" below the article) guide. This contains essential information that will assist you with completing your application.
- Download and complete the Graduate Research Scholarships Application Form (see "Further official information" below the article)
- Combine the application form and all the supporting documentation (including the email confirming supervision provided by the Academic Point of Contact) into a single PDF file. A full list of required and supporting documentation is available in ‘How to complete the Scholarship Application Form’ document.
- Attached the PDF file to a single email.
- Submit the completed application and supporting documentation (as a single email) to the appropriate email address by the deadline.
Email your applications to
International - email@example.com 5pm AEST 30 September 2016
Domestic - Email address for submitting applications will be active from 1 September 2016 5pm AEST 28 October 2016
Notification of outcomes
Both Domestic and International applicants will be contacted in mid December regarding the outcome of their application.
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information click "Further official information" below.