About the fellowship program
This fellowship program is intended for young postgraduate scientists in the early phase of their postdoctoral career. In accordance with the foundation’s statutes, it is open for all scientific disciplines and subjects. Prerequisites are an own research project and the institutional affiliation to a scientific institution in Germany.
Who Can Apply?
The fellowships are intended to sponsor postdocs, in particular, junior professors or scientists in a comparable position, such as independent directors of a group of young researchers in German research institutions. Those interested can apply for the fellowship only for the support of their own research project. At regular intervals, the foundation organizes meetings for the exchange of ideas among the stipendiaries and for maintaining contact to the foundation. Willingness to take part in these meetings is presupposed.
The Fellowship’s Benefits
The fellowship is granted for a duration of two years, the annual grant sum is 20,000 Euros. The stipendiaries must submit an interim report on the course and results of their research after one year, and a final report at the end of the fellowship. The fellowship is paid through the office
for third-party funds at the research institution where the fellowship holder works. The fellowship sum can be used for the following purposes: for tools, equipment, computers, for the limited occupation of scientific assistants, for research travel, for participation in conferences, and for the organization of the fellowship holder’s own conferences. The fellowship may, however, not be used for the own living expenses, printing costs. or expendable items, such as chemicals, paper, or the like.
1. certification of the institutional affiliation (for example, a letter of confirmation from the institute’s director)
2. The title and a short description of the research project, giving information on the method(s) planned (three Din A4-pages at most)
3. The motivation for the choice of the project (one Din A4-page at most)
4. An approximate time schedule for the course of the project, including general information on the planned use of the fellowship (two Din A4-pages at most)
5. A tabular cV with the applicant’s scientific background (including publications, scholarships, prizes)
6. complete copies of the Master’s certificate or Diploma, and of the graduation (doctoral) certificate (a provisional certificate will not be accepted). in the case of certificates in languages other than German or English, please include a certified German or English translation.
7. Two confidential expertises which should provide information on the applicant’s person as well as on the project. The exper- tises must be written on the official letter paper of the instituti- on where the expert works. Expertises not written on official letter paper and unsigned expertises will not be taken into consideration. The experts have the choice, either to upload their expertises in the foundation’s online portal, or to send them in writing to the address given above.
Daimler and Benz Foundation
Openness and curiosity are essential prerequisites for discovery. In order to intensify the knowledge-generation process, the Daimler and Benz Foundation works with targeted stimuli. Using its €3 million yearly operating budget, the Foundation is able to provide sizable resources for international research. Its endowment of €125 million makes the Daimler and Benz Foundation one of the largest, actively-operating foundations in Germany.
The Daimler and Benz Foundation is guided by clear principles. Its core values include supporting young researchers, encouraging interdisciplinary cooperation, and promoting research in a wide-range of fields. The Daimler and Benz Foundation has created a forum where leaders in the natural and social sciences can present and discuss their ideas. This exchange brings unconventional associations and new ideas to light: The result is knowledge with long-term benefits for us all.
For more information click "Further official information" below.