The Tower Hamlets Council has launched the Holiday Activities and Food Programme that provides funding to local authorities to coordinate a holiday programme that provides healthy food and enriching activities to Free School meal benefit recipients during the Summer Holiday.
Tower Hamlets want to commission a rich and diverse programme of activities delivered by organisations form the private, voluntary, and public sector that respond to local need draws in the wider community and is delivered in a variety of ways across the Borough.
As a result of this programme, they want children who attend this provision to:
- Eat healthily over the school holidays.
- Be active during the school holidays.
- Take part in engaging and enriching activities which support the development of resilience, character, and wellbeing along with their wider educational attainment.
- Be safe and not to be socially isolated.
- Have a greater knowledge of health and nutrition.
- Be more engaged with school and other local service.
- They also want to ensure that the families who participate in this programme:
- Develop their understanding of nutrition and food budgeting.
- Are signposted towards other information and support, for example, health, employment, and education.
Grants are available depending on the number of places available each day at the club. An increased grant amount is available to support groups providing SEND-focused summer holiday activities to reflect the additional support required. To claim the SEND rate, at least 50% of attendees must be SEND.
What They Will Fund
Funding can be used for a variety of things, but they would expect it to fall within two broad categories:
- To support the holiday offer itself (e.g. setting up new provision, paying for additional staff)
- To support quality improvement of provision (e.g. bringing in sports coaches, establishing partnerships with catering organisations, catering equipment etc.)
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.