The Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies (FRIAS) is the University of Freiburg’s international research college. The institute supports innovative research projects through individual fellowships and group formats. It is at the centre of a very active research community and enjoys an international reputation for academic excellence.
The Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies at the University of Freiburg, Germany,
supported by the Eva Mayr-Stihl Foundation
up to 12
2-year memberships in the
“Young Academy for Sustainability Research”
from October 1st, 2021 until September 30th, 2023
The University of Freiburg is launching the “Young Academy for Sustainability Research” in October 2021 with the objective of hosting six external (national and international) and six post-doctoral talents from Freiburg to undertake research in the field of sustainability at the University of Freiburg. The “Young Academy for Sustainability Research” is funded by the Eva Mayr-Stihl Foundation.
(1) Young Academy for Sustainability Research
The Young Academy is aiming for interdisciplinary collaboration between outstanding scientists in the field of sustainability research. The goal is to create an institutional framework for early-career researchers to promote interdisciplinary discourse and collaboration, to initiate joint projects, and to create outreach into society. The Young Academy is organised by its members, with support by the FRIAS team.
(2) Research field
The “Young Academy for Sustainability Research” is open for all disciplines. In its first two years, work at the Young Academy is supposed to revolve broadly around the following two themes and related cross-cutting thematic areas:
- Understanding and managing sustainable energy transitions, including a.) power and responsibility, b.) innovations for sustainability, c.) system transformations;
- Understanding and managing green infrastructures in socio-ecological systems, including d.) adaptation, vulnerability and resilience; e.) environmental risks.
(3) Benefits for members
- peer-mentoring and network-building with other like-minded scientists
- contribution and exchange in a vibrant international and interdisciplinary research group
- connection to the FRIAS network with its outstanding (inter)national researchers
- insights into the strong research, teaching, and transfer activities on sustainability issues at the University of Freiburg
- opportunity for (joint) publications, research proposals and conferences
- career guidance and training in advanced research and transferable skills
- opportunity to become a guest researcher at FRIAS for a stay of 4 to 12 weeks (incl. travel and accommodation costs)
- financial contribution to specific sub-groups (approx. € 15,000 per group and year) and to individual needs (e.g. conference participation; € 1,000 per year for each member)
(4) Eligibility Criteria
- post-doctoral scientists (completed PhD, one to six years of post-doctoral experience)
- interest in and commitment to interdisciplinary research
- outstanding track record
Applicants are asked to submit a CV, a list of publications and a letter of motivation (max. 2 pages), in which they outline their expectations of becoming an academy member and in which they describe how their research relates to the above-mentioned themes (both in terms of commonalities and complementarities).
The applications should be sent in one single PDF-file to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 11th, 2021; 24:00 h CET.
Suitable applicants will be invited to online interviews. These interviews will take place on July 26th.
- August 2021: evaluation results and decision
- October 2021: start of the “Young Academy for Sustainability Research”
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.