Raise your voice and stand for land!
UNCCD invites you to mobilize the youth to take care of land as part of the solution to climate change.
The incredible power and deep concern of young people for the climate emergency is evident. We have witnessed youth in action during protests and strikes (Fridays for Climate movement is going strong and growing, after nearly 100 weeks) and similar movements are born all around the world, following the same purpose: to ensure a sustainable future for all.
You are already making a difference. Let’s take it further !
How is land connected to climate change?
- Land degradation is a driver of climate change, because it increases emission of greenhouse gases (GHGs) and reduces carbon uptake
- Desertification exacerbates climate change in many ways: loss of vegetation, sand and dust storms and greenhouse gas emissions
- In turn, climate change worsens desertification
- Land degradation can be avoided, reduced or reversed by managing land sustainably and applying land restoration and rehabilitation measures
- Healthy land acts as a powerful carbon sink, becoming an effective solution to climate change
- Land restoration is one of the cheapest solutions to climate change and biodiversity loss
- Indigenous and local knowledge in managing land sustainably (women are often the guardians of this knowledge) is invaluable for building resilience against climate change and desertification
Good land stewardship plays a critical role in achieving international commitments for climate, biodiversity and sustainable development. Effective land management is important to meet all of the sustainable development goals (SDGs).
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE
The campaign “Become #UNCCDLandHeroes” appeals to the youth (15-30 years old) worldwide. It is a social media campaign “by the youth for the youth” that will trend under #UNCCDLandHeroes and #FoodFeedFibre.
By entering the contest, you are automatically considered a UNCCD Land Hero.
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, large gatherings are not longer permitted on the streets and in public spaces. But we still have the possibility, the will and power to create a large virtual crowd standing for land.
Please read the Application Rules carefully to ensure that you are eligible to apply and that your submission follows the rules.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.