The Department of Education of the City Council of Santiago de Compostela, in collaboration with Kalandraka publishers, and as part of the 20th Reading Promotion Campaign announces the call for entries to the Thirteenth International COMPOSTELA Prize for Picture Books subject to the following rules:
1. The Thirteenth International Compostela Prize for Picture Books is open to all publications included in the picture book category: a book in which the story is told through images, or through images and text that complement each other.
2. The purpose of the rules of this call is to promote the literary and artistic production of books for children and young adults.
3. The books may be presented in any of the official languages of the Iberian Peninsula, and must be original and unpublished. Adaptations of originals or books that have already been awarded prizes or mentions in other contests will not be accepted. Works with more than three illustrations uploaded onto the Internet will not be accepted.
4. One or more persons, who are authors of the text and illustrations, of any nationality may take part. Winners from other years and employees of Kalandraka are excluded from participating.
5. The projects may be presented in any size, technique and format, but may not contain any more than 40 inner pages (excluding covers and endpapers).
6. Authors competing for the prize must present:
· Five copies of the text.
· Three original illustrations and five colour photocopies of each. If digital techniques are used, the authors may send high-resolution prints of the work.
·A finished layout of the whole Project: a printed copy with the design, text and illustrations, as close as possible to finished book.
7. The works must not feature the name of the author(s), but instead a pen name or pseudonym. The personal details of the participants will be delivered in a sealed envelope: on the outside, the title of the work and the pen name or pseudonym, and inside the full name or names, postal address, telephone number and e-mail, together with a complete photocopy of the author(s) ID card or passport and a brief biography.
8. The projects must be sent or delivered to the General Registry of the Town Council of Santiago de Compostela (c/ Presidente Salvador Allende nº. 4, 15705, Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña, Spain), indicating on the envelope “XIII Premio Internacional COMPOSTELA de Álbum Ilustrado”. The name(s) of the author(s) must not appear on parcels delivered by courier agencies.
9. The period for presenting the books begins with the publication of these rules in the Official Bulletin of the Province of A Coruña, and ends on the 30th of April 2020. Envelopes may not be postmarked with any date later than the deadline. The jury’s decision will be published on June 2020, during the 20th Reading Promotion Campaign, organised by the City Council of Santiago de Compostela.
10. The jury will be composed of members with recognised prestige in the field of literature and illustration, and they will select the winner picture book according to their own criteria. A person appointed by the organisers will act as the secretary. The prize may be declared void, and no appeal may be issued against the decision of the jury under any circumstances.
11. A single prize of € 9000. The prize will be subject to the withholding which are applicable in each case. The prize money will not be paid until the author or authors deliver the completed work ready for publication. The prize-winning work will be published in all of the official languages of the peninsula (Galician, Catalan, Basque, Castilian Spanish and Portuguese) by the publisher Kalandraka in November 2020, which will sign the necessary publishing contracts. The publisher will also give priority to publishing works which receive a special mention from the jury. This right shall be valid for a period of one year, after which the works shall be at the free disposal of the author(s).
12. The author/s will transfer the rights for the first edition, as will be indicated in the contract they will sign with the publisher Kalandraka.
13. The author(s) undertake(s) to deliver the completed book before the 3rd September 2020. The illustrator undertakes to complete the remaining illustrations using the same technique and with the same quality as those presented to the contest.
14. The author(s) will be responsible for all expenses payable related to the delivery of the works. The organization will not be responsible for any loss or damage caused to the originals, or any delay or any other circumstance attributable to third parties that may affect the arrival of the Works to the prize.
15. The author(s) may request the return of any originals that are not selected, sending a request by e-mail within one month of the jury’s decision, covering all postage costs, for which purpose a bank account number will be provided to make payment for the postage or delivery. At the end of this period, any books that have not been requested for return will be destroyed.
16. The organising committee will not enter into any type of communication by mail or phone regarding the books that are not selected, nor regarding the interpretation and application of these rules.
17. In the event of any matters arising from these rules that require further clarification, this will be done by the jury, or otherwise by the organisers of the event. Participation in this competition implies the knowledge and full acceptance of these rules.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: