"Social Dive" Tokyo Biennale 2020
Tokyo Biennale 2020 project, “Social Dive”, starts its open call for overseas artists to join in AIR projects!
As an artist-in-residence program, participants will be offered accommodation in Tokyo during their project period.
By staying and creating at the heart of Tokyo, this program offers artists the once in a lifetime chance to present their resulting work as part of the Tokyo Biennale 2020.
Please find program details outlined below.
We look forward to receiving your applications!
“Social Dive” involves artists diving into the different areas of Tokyo as part of an art project aimed at discovering both the unique traditions, as well as new values held by the people who live there. The project calls for artists whose practice deals with socially engaged art through a wide spectrum of ideas and methods of expression or action; whether it be fine art, design, performance, media art, film, architecture, academic research, social action, economic-related – all fields are welcome.
Especially concerning overseas applicants, we wish to support projects that capture through a unique lens the beauty of Japanese traditions or the diversity existing in its contemporary culture; as well as the creation of artworks that shed light on a universality existing on earth through the connections made between Tokyo localities and outside cultures.
– Capability to directly face the “Social Dive” theme, and connect deeply with the city of Tokyo itself, its diverse communities, or the intangible cultural values of Japan.
– All forms of expression are accepted. Any field is welcome as long as the project deals with social engagement through a wide spectrum of ideas and methods of expression or action. This includes those such as fine art, design, performance, media art, film, architecture, academic research, social action, and economic-related.
– Must be able to actually participate as an invited artist and carry out the preparation and development of the exhibition following the notice of their selection.
– Must be able to stay and produce work between June to Early July 2020 in order to present works for the opening of the Tokyo Biennale (planned for July 10, 2020).
– A plan of the artwork or art project that you propose (2 pages, A3 size 297 x 420 mm, horizontal format)
– A self-introduction statement that includes details of past works (1 page, A3 size)
– Current CV that includes education and career, exhibitions/projects, and residency experience
– Website URL (if you have one)
*All documents will only be accepted in English or Japanese
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.