Call for papers
Late Antique Christianity in Southeastern Europe
Yambol, Bulgaria, October 3rd - 5th, 2019
The Late Antique Christianity in Southeastern Europe conference seeks to bring a diverse group of scholars in various fields of science together to discuss the ways in which Christianity emerge, spread and establish on the Balkans. This will be the first major event of a three-year project LABedia: encyclopedia of Late Antique Balkans funded by the National Scientific Fund of Bulgaria and will be held under the patronage of the Yambol Municipality.
Confirmed keynote speakers:
- Dimitar Dimitrov, Veliko Turnovo University
- Misa Rakocija, Institute for cultural heritage preservation Nis
- Andreas P?lz, Institut f?r Kulturgeschichte der Antike, ?sterreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften
- Haluk ?etinkaya, Mimar Sinan University, Istanbul
- Irina Achim, Institutul de Arheologie "Vasile P?rvan", Bucuresti
The aim of this conference is to build upon and further the recent interest in the Late Antique Christianity in Southeastern Europe from a variety of angles:
- Christianization of Southeastern Europe;
- Church organization in Southeastern Europe;
- Christian topography;
- Christian art and architecture;
- Everyday life in Christian communities;
- Monasticism and monastic communities;
- Arianism and other heresies;
- Christian liturgy and religious practices.
Accepted papers will be awarded a 15 minutes presentation.
We invite postgraduate students, early career researchers, and established academics to submit abstract of no more than 350 words (including bibliography, your name and affiliation), as well as a CV, by 30 April 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>. Notification of acceptance will be given by 15 May 2019.
Those who are interested in attending are kindly advised to contact Zlatomira Gerdzhikova (firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com> ) or Ivo Topalilov (firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>).
We intend to publish conference papers so we kindly ask you to present material you will be free to contribute for publication.
There is no conference fee.
Languages accepted: English, German, French and Bulgarian.
Do not hesitate to disseminate this information as widely as possible.
The conference is part of the project LABedia: encyclopedia of Late Antique Balkans, 4th c. funded by National Science Fund, Contract # ??-06-?30/6, 13.12.2018.