Cappadocia in Context
Date: 9 - 23 June 2019
An International Program for Graduate Students in Byzantine Studies
The program will take place in Cappadocia, Nevşehir from June 9th till 23rd. Through this rigorous program that combines guided site visits and thematic explorations with lectures and seminar presentations, participants will explore ways to “read” the landscape and its monuments, as well as ways to write a regional history based on the close analysis of sites and monuments.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 4 March 2019
Please kindly get in contact with email@example.com for further inquiry.
About the Program
The program will explore ways of contextualizing the rich artistic and cultural heritage of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Cappadocia. Within its breathtaking volcanic landscape, Cappadocia preserves extensive rock-cut features from the Byzantine period, including more than a thousand rock-cut churches and chapels (one-third of which preserve significant elements of their painted decoration), as well as monasteries, houses, villages, towns, cemeteries, and fortresses. The region is unrivaled in terms of its material culture, but because it lacks a written history, the monuments of Cappadocia remain poorly known to most Byzantinists.
The program is open to students enrolled in MA and Ph.D. programs.
Having attended the program last year, ANAMED 2018–2019 PhD Fellow Hugh Jeffery wrote about his impressions on the program and Cappadocia for ANAMED Blog.
Date: 9 - 23 June 2019
● All course materials will be provided electronically.
Certificates and transcripts
● ANAMED issues certificates to all students who successfully complete the program. If you need an officially issued transcript, please be in touch in a timely manner with the coordinators.
● Participants will be housed in shared double rooms, with all breakfasts, dinners, and most lunches provided. Wireless internet service is gratis. A seminar room with a small research library, with basic books and pdf files of readings, will be available for use at all hours.
● Participants must arrange their own transportation to/from Cappadocia. Ground transportation to Mustafapaşa is available from the Nevşehir and Kayseri airports but should be reserved in advance. Daily transportation to and from site visits is provided. Regular public minibus service connects Mustafapaşa and Ürgüp.
● Airfare and visa arrangements and expenses are each participant’s own responsibility.
● Tuition for Summer 2019 is $2500 USD. The tuition includes all course materials, all expenses of field trips, accommodation, breakfasts, dinners and most lunches.
● Scholarships will be given based on need and merit. (In order to be considered for the scholarship, you can indicate your wish by adding an additional paragraph to your Statement of Purpose.)
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: