Zayed Sustainability Prize
The Zayed Sustainability Prize, an evolution of the Zayed Future Energy Prize, is the UAE’s pioneering global award in sustainability and a tribute to the legacy of the late founding father of the UAE, Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan.
Established in 2008, this annual award recognises and rewards the achievements of those who are driving impactful, innovative and inspiring sustainability solutions across five distinct categories: Health, Food, Energy, Water and Global High Schools.
- Masdar reserves the right to publish details of the entrants, shortlisted candidates, finalists and/or winners of the Prize on the Prize website and in other promotional and publicity material as it considers appropriate. This includes (without limitation) for the purpose of promoting Masdar and/or Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week. By entering, entrants agree that they will be willing and available to participate in publicity and promotional activities and events and/or press conferences and that Masdar shall be entitled to use entrants' names, photographs, country of residence (but not full address) and other relevant information in publicity throughout all media, free of charge.
- Entrants shall not take part (or agree to take part) in any media coverage, or make any press releases or other announcements regarding participation in the Prize without the prior agreement of Masdar. No entrant shall refer to the Prize or permit it to be referred to by any third party for the purpose of promoting or publicising any company or business other than Masdar.
- Notwithstanding the paragraph above, following the announcement of the Awards, the winners may refer to the Prize and that they have been given the Award. If referring to the Prize or the Award for the purpose of promoting or publicising any company or business other than Masdar the winner must get the consent of Masdar.
- Masdar may enter into discussions with the entrants regarding the potential publication of the submissions.
- All entries must be submitted through the dedicated online portal. Hard copy will not be returned.
- Entrants may be required to provide further information to assist the Jury in assessing the submission and each entrant agrees to fully co-operate with the Jury, as and if appropriate. Information which is not in the public domain and is marked by the entrant as confidential shall be treated as confidential by Masdar and the Jury, but each entrant is advised to take independent legal advice relating to the protection of any Intellectual Property (IP) or know-how that is included within the submission. Masdar shall not be responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of any information submitted over the Internet, but shall use reasonable efforts to keep such information confidential.
- The entrant warrants that it has truthfully and accurately completed the submission and acknowledges and agrees that Masdar may, at its sole discretion, disqualify the entrant from the Prize at any stage if the entrant has provided any untruthful, inaccurate or misleading details or information in the submission and/or has failed to abide by the terms and conditions of participation.
- The entrant warrants that it owns the intellectual property rights relating to the submission or has obtained any licenses required to use the intellectual property rights relating to the submission.
- As between Masdar and the entrant, the entrant shall retain ownership of any intellectual property rights in its submission.
- Masdar, the Selection Committee or the Jury (as the case may be) may decline to submit or consider a submission if, at the sole discretion of Masdar, the submission is deemed to infringe on the intellectual property rights of a third party. Any such decision shall be final and non-appealable.
- Any cash awards ("Awards") will be awarded at the sole discretion of the Jury. The decision of the Jury shall be final and non-appealable and no correspondence will be entered into. The Jury will be under no obligation to provide any reasons for their decision.
- Masdar shall retain all submissions and may use such submissions at its discretion to analyse the success and future of the Prize.
- The fund allocation per category is as follows:
- Health US$600,000
- Food US$600,000
- Energy US$600,000
- Water US$600,000
- Global High Schools US$600,000 (Divided between six school winners, each from six world regions)
- There is no alternative to the cash Award.
- The Awards shall be used by the winners, per category, to further the ideas and ambitions within the winning submissions.
- An Award may be subject to withholding tax (if applicable) and/or income tax or other applicable tax which shall be payable by the winner, as applicable. Masdar shall not be liable for any taxes which are or become payable on the Award.
- An Award may be revoked and a refund required if it is discovered that a winner has provided misleading or erroneous information within the submission or it is subsequently discovered that the submission infringes the intellectual property rights of a third party.
- The Zayed Sustainability Prize is open to all entrants other than:
(a) Board members and employees of Masdar; and
(b) Anyone who has been involved in organising, promoting or judging the Prize.
- Masdar, the Selection Committee and the Jury reserve the right and have full discretion to reject or not select any submission for any reason that may, in the sole opinion of the Selection Committee, the Jury or Masdar, damage the reputation of the Prize, the UAE, Abu Dhabi or Masdar, or bring the Prize, the UAE, Abu Dhabi or Masdar into disrepute. The decision of the Selection Committee, the Jury or Masdar shall be final and no follow up correspondence shall be replied to.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.