The Doctoral Fellowship Programm INPhINIT “la Caixa”
The doctoral fellowship programme INPhINIT “la Caixa” is devoted to attracting talented Early-Stage Researchers—of any nationality—who wish to pursue doctoral studies in Spanish or Portuguese territory. Sponsored by ”la Caixa” Foundation, it is aimed at supporting the best scientific talent and fostering innovative and high-quality research in Spain and Portugal by recruiting outstanding international students and offering them an attractive and competitive environment for conducting research of excellence.
This programme is divided into two different frames:
Doctorate INPhINIT Incoming: 35 PhD fellowships for researchers willing to carry out their PhD project in research centres accredited with the Spanish Seal of Excellence Severo Ochoa, María de Maeztu or Health Institute Carlos III and Portuguese units accredited as “excellent” or “exceptional” according to the evaluation of the Fundação de Ciência e Tecnologia.
This frame is addressed exclusively to STEM disciplines: life sciences and health, experimental sciences, physics, chemistry and mathematics.
For doing their research in Spanish institutions, candidates must have resided or carried out their main activity in Spain for less than 12 months in the last 3 years while for Portuguese institutions, candidates must have resided in Portugal for less than 12 months in the last 3 years.
Doctorate INPhINIT Retaining: 30 PhD fellowships for researchers willing to carry out their PhD project in any research domain and any university or research center in Spain or Portugal.
Candidates must have resided or carried out their main activity in the same country, either Spain, or Portugal, more than 12 months in the last 3 years.
- The doctoral INPhINIT fellowships offer a highly competitive salary and complementary opportunities for training on transferrable skills (through the collaboration of leading entities such as Vitae and Oxentia), temporary stays in industry, incentives upon completion of the thesis, among other elements that make these fellowships some of the most attractive and complete in Europe.
- Doctoral INPhINIT fellows enjoy a 3-year contract under the Spanish or Portuguese labour legislation in force, respecting health and safety, and social security provisions in a stimulating research training environment, with access to appropriate equipment, facilities and opportunities.
- Fellows have a PhD supervisor appointed by the research centre or university, responsible for the research project. Fellows must report on their work progress periodically, detailing their key achievements and future goals for each of the sections included in a career development plan, plus information about any ethical issues. These reports must be signed by both the student and supervisor.
- High-quality academic and industrial secondments are offered both by the host institutions and the “la Caixa” Foundation to enhance PhD fellows’ future career opportunities in both academia and industry. They may choose among national and international partners.
- Every year thousands of students decide to attend one of the many outstanding postgraduate programmes offered by Spanish and Portuguese universities and research centres. Spain and Portugal both offer the opportunity to live a truly enriching experience due to their unique combination of an excellent research ecosystem and attractive lifestyle.
- Spanish and Portuguese university systems join the European Higher Education Area (EHEA). This makes Spain and Portugal attractive and accessible destinations for PhD students seeking high-quality qualifications with international recognition.
- In order to start a doctoral degree in Spain or Portugal, students have to be admitted and enrolled on a doctoral programme involving a research project.
- During the doctorate, fellows develop an individual research project, undertake training activities on complementary skills and attend seminars and conferences. The doctoral period ends with the preparation and defense of the doctoral thesis. Spanish and Portuguese doctoral programmes are designed to be accessible, with teaching and training in English, as well as support for students seeking to improve or acquire Spanish or Portuguese language skills.
- Not only education but culture and lifestyle are strong motivations for a PhD candidate to choose Spain or Portugal as their countries to live for the next years: with a mild climate, delicious cuisine and a long history, Spain and Portugal are among the most attractive destinations in the world.
Research conducted within the framework of the Doctoral INPhINIT Fellowsip programme must comply with the ethical principles of the EU and national and international legislation applicable in this field, as well as the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union and the European Convention on Human Rights (in Spanish only).
Applications that may raise ethical issues will be sent to the Ethics Committee to check that the proposals do not go against fundamental ethical principles or relevant safety procedures.
Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) is a principle promoted by the European Commission and integrated into the Horizon 2020 programme to reconsider the role of science and innovation in society. ”la Caixa” Foundation promotes this concept through its participation in European projects aimed at disseminating RRI, such as the case of RRI Tools or to implement RRI in different contexts— HEIRRI for higher education institutions and COMPASS for the industry. The interdisciplinary training programme that ”la Caixa” Foundation offers to PhD fellows will focus on, among other things, topics about how to align research with the values and needs of society, paying particular attention to integrity in research and the benefits of a professional commitment to the public in the research process.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: