This scheme provides funding to cover the costs of a 36 month fellowship at a host institution of your choosing. The purpose of this award is to enable the award holder to pursue an independent research project, towards the completion of a significant piece of publishable research.
The competition for the Postdoctoral Fellowship is held in two stages. The Outline Stage is open for everyone within the eligibility criteria (see below). The Second Stage is invitation only. You may only apply to this competition once, unless specifically invited to re-apply.
Outline Stage 2018-19
Scheme Opens - 22 August 2018
Deadline for Applicants (incl. Referee Statement & Organisation Approval) - 17 October 2018
Result of Outline Stage Announcement - January 2019
Second Stage 2018-19
Scheme Opens - 23 January 2019
Deadline for Applicants 20 February 2019
Result of Second Stage Announcement - End of May 2019
- Applicants must be supported by the UK host institution in which they wish to hold the Fellowship
- Applicants must be within three years of the award of a doctorate (this means being awarded via a viva voce examination between 1 April 2016 and 1st April 2019).
- Applicants in the 2018-19 competition awarded a PhD before 1 April 2016 can apply given extentuating circumstances, such as through illness or parental/care giving duties. If you are unsure about whether this applies to you, please contact the Research Funding Team.
- Those with a permanent academic post are ineligible to apply.
- Applicants must be either a UK/EEA national, or have completed a doctorate at a UK university. Applicants who do not fall into one of these categories must demonstrate a 'strong prior association' with the UK academic community. This is typically gained through having been employed in a temporary capacity at a UK university for at least 12 months.
Duration of Award
Awards are for 3 years
Awards are offered on a Full Economic Costing basis. There is no fixed amount awarded for the Fellowships and the value of award will vary depending on the host institution. Awards cover the salary of the Postdoctoral Fellow to work full-time on the Fellowship, small-scale research expenses (up to a maximum of £6,000), costs towards the time of a mentor (equivalent to one hour per month for the 36 months of the Fellowship) and the host institution's estates and indirect costs.
Applicants must be supported by one self-nominated referee, who will be asked to fill in a questionaire via Flexi-Grant. The referee should normally be the external examiner or, if not available, someone else who is as external to the applicant as possible.
For any further enquiries, please read through our FAQ, or contact us at: email@example.com
We will be uploading detailed Scheme Guidance Notes for the 2018-19 competition by 10th August 2018.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.