The Global Teacher Prize is a US $1 million award presented annually to an exceptional teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to their profession.
The Varkey Foundation (“VF”) is launching a US$1,000,000 Global Teacher Prize (“Prize”) to recognize the importance of the teaching profession and promote excellence in teaching. The Prize will be awarded under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice President and Prime Minister, Ruler of Dubai. Submissions may be made between June 2017 and 9th September 2018. The winner will be announced during the Global Education and Skills Forum 2019. The selection process will be audited by PriceWaterhouseCoopers.
To be eligible, an Applicant must:
- The Prize is open to currently working teachers who teach children that are in compulsory schooling, or are between the ages of five and eighteen. Teachers who teach children age 4+ in an Early Years government-recognised curriculum are also eligible, as are teachers who teach on a part-time basis, and teachers of online courses. Teachers must spend at least 10 hours per week teaching children face-to-face, and plan to remain in the teaching profession for the next 5 years. The Prize is open to teachers in every kind of school and, subject to local laws, in every country in the world.
- not be a previous Prize winner; and not be a previous Top 10 candidate.
How to enter
To enter, complete the application form and follow the instructions on the website www.globalteacherprize.org.
The judges will evaluate Applications based on the following criteria:
- Recognition of a teacher’s achievements in the classroom and beyond from pupils, colleagues, head-teachers or members of the wider community;
- Employing innovative and effective instructional practices;
- Achieving demonstrable student learning outcomes in the classroom;
- Preparing children to be global citizens in a world where they will encounter people from many different religions, cultures and nationalities;
- Achievements in the community beyond the classroom that provide unique and distinguished models of excellence for the teaching profession and others;
- Encouraging others to joint he teaching profession. Contributing to public debates on the teaching profession, whether through writing articles, blogs, media participation, social media campaigns, events of conferences
- Once the application process has closed, applications will be scored and read by a panel of online judges who will select the Top 50 Finalists.
- The first Committee of judges (“Prize Committee“) will meet in November 2018 to select the Top 10 Finalists.
- The Global Teacher Prize Academy (the final panel of judges) will then select the winner, through a secure online voting system, subject to additional screening, background and reference checks.
- The whole selection process will be monitored and audited by PricewaterhouseCoopers to ensure transparency.
- The Prize will be paid in equal annual installments of US$100,000 over a period of ten (10) years, subject to any tar or other withholding required under applicable law.
- During this ten (10) year period, the winner shall not conduct themselves (by act or omission) in such a way as to bring the teaching profession or any of the VF Parties into disrepute (as may be determined at the sole discretion of VF).
- The winner must attend financial counseling sessions provided free-of-charge by VF.
- For a period of five (5) years after the awarding of the Prize to the winner, the winner must: (i) continue to teach or provide educational support to students between the ages of 5 and 18 in a school setting (unless due to natural retirement) and (ii) serve as Global Ambassador for VF. Serving as Global Ambassador for VF shall include but not be limited to attending events, speaking to the media, undertaking training and other commitments outside of working hours, on weekends and/or on holidays. VF will pay for and arrange all travel and accommodation.
Conditions and Limitations
- Limit one application per Applicant.
- Applicants who do not progress to the Top 50 stage or beyond will not receive notification. Entries will not be returned.
- Applicants will not be reimbursed for any costs incurred in connection with submitting the Application.
- VF is not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected entries.
- Upon submission, Applicants grant VF a non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free and worldwide license to use and modify the Application, in whole or in part, for commercial and other purposes, without any payment or other consideration, for use in any media now known or hereafter discovered, in perpetuity, to the extent legally permissible.
- By entering this Contest, each Applicant forever discharges and releases the VF Parties from any and all liability, claims, causes of action, suits, and demands of any kind (“Claims”) arising from or in connection with the Contest. Applicant also indemnifies the VF Parties from all Claims arising from third parties in relation to Applicant’s participation in this Contest or the breach of any of these Terms and Conditions by the Applicant.
- Applicants represent that they have: (i) all intellectual property rights to all of the content of their Application materials and (ii) the authority to submit these materials and to grant the license described herein. Applicants shall fully indemnify the VF Parties for all third party Claims arising directly or indirectly from breach of this representation.
- Applicants agree to the use of their name and likeness in publicity without notice or any additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. The winner acknowledges that VF has the right to publicize and broadcast the winner’s name, voice, and likeness, the fact that they won, and all matters incidental thereto. VF is not obligated to attribute an Application to the Applicant who submitted it.
- At VF’s discretion, Applicant may be required to provide proof of compliance with any of these Terms and Conditions.
- Winners will be solely responsible for any and all taxes incurred by their participation in the contest. VF will report or withhold any individual winnings in accordance with applicable law.
- VF reserves the right to terminate the Contest without awarding the Prize if no eligible winner claims the Prize within the required time.
- Notwithstanding any other provision of these Terms and Conditions, VF reserves the right to: (i) desist from paying any and all Prize money and/or (ii) require the winner to return any Prize money already disbursed if, at any point after the award of the Prize to the winner, it is discovered that: (x) any of the Application material was false or misleading in any way, (y) the winner was not in fact eligible or (z) that any of these Terms and Conditions have otherwise been breached.
- These Terms and Conditions are subject to modification by VF in its sole discretion.
- This Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law. Each of these Terms and Conditions is subject to applicable law.
- This Contest and these Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales, without regard to any conflicts of law principles. Any and all claims or disputes arising out of or in connection with this Contest or these Terms and Conditions shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of English courts.
For more information click below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: