Kyoto Art Center Artist-in-Residence Program 2019 for Visual Arts
Kyoto Art Center’s Artist-in-Residence Program offers support to emerging artists and art researchers who wish to pursue creative activities in Kyoto. We switch between hosting performing arts artist and visual astist every year. In 2018, the program is open for performing artists and researchers. (We won't open for Visual arts in this year.)
Kyoto Art Center (KAC) aims to be not only a venue for exchange and mutual stimulus among artists, but also for citizens to experience the abundance of arts. This program supports creative activities of artists and art researchers who aim to explore new artistic expression in their encounter of Japanese culture. Participants engage in production, research and study in KAC during the residency.
The program switches between hosting visual artist and performing artist every year. In 2019, the program is open for visual artists and researchers. We welcome artists who explore the new form of expression in their own genre, or across genres. We particularly interested in enthusiastic artists who stimulates the creativity of Kyoto citizens.
• Emerging artists and art researchers based on visual art who have clear motivation to work and research in Kyoto.
*Applications by writers and cross-media artists are welcome to apply every year.
- Organize a public program for Kyoto citizens during the residency.
- Communicate in English or Japanese.
• Accommodation during the residency period. [Maximum 3 months]
• A studio for production and research at Kyoto Art Center.
• Round-trip air ticket from residential area to Kansai International Airport or Osaka International Airport
• Production and research cost: JPY100,000 (including tax) for an individual or a group
(not each member).
• Assistance by art coordinators.
Maximum 3 months from April 1st [Mon], 2019 － March 31st [Tue], 2020
April 1st [Sat] – June 30th [Fri], 2018
Results wiill be announced in the end of October, 2015.
How to Apply
Please send us a filled out plan sheet in English or Japanese by E-mail [ firstname.lastname@example.org ] or by post. Regarding E-mail, you must write “Application for AIR2019” at the head of subject.
*Applicants must have online address with uploaded video or visual documentation of recent works (Maximum three works/projects). Also they must be able to see online (not download URL).
Please do not directly attach the image and video files on your e-mail.
Researchers must attach thesis or written works.
- Please do not send any materials which need to be returned if you apply by post. The submitted materials will not be returned.
- Application form must be typed or clear hand-written.
A screening committee consisting of arts professionals carefully reviews and evaluates applications. The result will be informed to all applicants by the end of October 2018.
Any enquiries for selection will not be answered.
• Artist fee and living expenses are not covered.
• Participants have to arrange their own delivery of materials required for production of works, rehearsals and researches.
• Participants must submit a report at the end of the program.
• Please inform beforehand if you bring your family or assistants. Any supports indicated in this guideline are applied to the participant only.
• Participants are responsible for any unexpected accidents or sickness.
*Getting insurance is recommended.
For more information click below.