A program designed for leaders from diverse backgrounds who share a commitment to facing society’s greatest challenges.
The Presidential Leadership Scholars (PLS) program draws on the strengths and leadership initiatives of the four affiliated presidential centers. By including a roster of presidential centers – two Republican and two Democratic – and by enjoying the engagement of former presidents from both parties, the program creates a rare opportunity to instill in our Scholars a brand of principled leadership that transcends diverse backgrounds.
This executive-style education series creates a life-long network for Scholars and fosters opportunities for leaders to emerge ready to offer solutions to pressing national problems. The program is designed to develop a new generation of leaders who are focused on solving society’s toughest challenges and creating measurable change in their communities, our Nation, and the world.
These diverse, high performing mid-career professionals take their leadership strengths to a higher level and graduate from the program emboldened with the practical skills necessary to drive solution-oriented action. Along the way, they build a network that spans geographic, professional, and societal boundaries, challenges pre-existing perceptions and pre-conceived notions, and demonstrates the power of working together to achieve lasting positive change.
The Presidential Leadership Scholars program is for individuals who have the skills, values, and motivation to become a special kind of leader. We are looking for people who have the desire and capacity to take their leadership strengths to a higher level in order to help their communities, professions, organizations, and, thus, our country. While the program is designed to assemble a unique and diverse cohort of high-potential leaders, Scholars most successful in the program share certain personal characteristics:
- Civically Minded: Willing and eager to take actions to improve society.
- Eager to Receive Feedback: Willing to seek, humbly accept, and actively respond to feedback.
- Accepting of Diverse Points of View: Welcoming opportunities to interact with and learn from others with different backgrounds or perspectives.
- Experienced Professionals: Having a breadth and depth of professional experience (though “quality” is not easily measured in time, the majority of accepted applicants have 10+ years of professional experience and are at a point in their careers where their participation in PLS will be felt for many years to come).
- Demonstrated Leadership: Using PLS to build on an established record of meaningful leadership (PLS is not an introductory course in leadership.)
- In Positions of Influence: Having an opportunity to take action and promote change in their communities or organizations.
- Committed to the Program: Willing to fully participate in a rigorous and intense six-month program by being on site at modules in five different locations for approximately 20 days and spending 50+ hours on pre- and post-module assignments.
The program seeks participants from a wide range of fields, including business, military, nonprofit, and government.
To qualify for consideration, applicants must be U.S. citizens and legal residents living and working in the United States or are able to get to the United States at their own expense for each module.
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCESS
All application materials for the 2019 class, including recommendations, were are due by 11:59 P.M. (Pacific Time) on Friday, August 31, 2018.
Candidates will be assessed by their application submission, recommendations, and essays. Select candidates will be invited to participate in final interviews. Finalists will be notified by early November if they have been invited to participate in the interview process. Interviews will be conducted via videoconference through late November and final acceptance decisions will be made before the end of December 2018.
For more information click below.