Advanced Academia Fellowships for Bulgarian Scholars in Humanities and Social Sciences
The Centre for Advanced Study Sofia (CAS) announces a Call for Applications for its 2019/2020 Advanced Academia Fellowship Programme for fundamental research in the field of the humanities and social sciences.
The Advanced Academia Fellowship Program will support high quality independent research projects of young and established scholars in the area of social sciences and humanities. There will be no disciplinary, methodological or thematic restrictions applied to the project proposals. Selection will be based solely on the potential of the candidate and the quality of the project. The Fellows will have access to electronic and library resources and will be fully integrated in the regular research seminars and discussions taking place within the existing CAS programmes.
CAS will provide:
- 5-month fellowships for young Bulgarian researchers to the amount of 700 Euro; and
- 5-month fellowships for established Bulgarian scholars to the amount of 1 000 Euro.
The fellowship includes all taxes and social insurance fees.
The Programme will be organized in two semesters:
- Semester I: 1 March to 31 July, 2019; and
- Semester II: 1 October, 2019 to 28 February, 2020.
Candidates should indicate their preference for one of the two semesters. The final distribution of approved fellows between the two semesters will be negotiated in view of the thematic coherence of the teams. It is highly desirable that the selected candidates are able to take temporary leaves from the institutions of their permanent affiliation for the period of their fellowship at CAS Sofia and dedicate their time entirely to the proposed research.
- All candidates should be Bulgarian citizens.
- Young scholars: post-docs, assistants, academic associates or associate professors who have defended their PhD dissertation during the last 8 years.
- Established scholars: associate professor/doctor or professor/doctor with no less than 8 years of experience after their thesis, minimum of two monographs.
- Previous experience in international projects and publications in renowned academic editions will be considered an advantage.
As an international academic institution CAS conducts most of its work in English. The excellent command of English is a significant prerequisite for the successful integration of the fellow in already existing research teams and planned events. Therefore the level of language proficiency will be taken into consideration during the selection process.
- A recent photo (can be separately attached or included in the application form)
- The electronic application form in English with all entries filled-in (please download from Advanced Academia Application Form) All data should be included in the Form with the exception of photos and relevant texts. Information provided outside the form will not be taken into consideration unless it is a separate document (photo, scanned text or additional document testifying knowledge of English or other circumstances.) The document should be entitled and saved in MS Word format, as follows: Familyname_ApplicationForm_2019 (for example: Ivanova_ApplicationForm_2019.doc)
- for younger scholars (up to 8 years after PhD defense and/or two monographs) only: 2 letters of reference forms filled in by established scholars familiar with the applicant's academic work; the references must be mailed, faxed or emailed to the programme coordinator at CAS directly by the referees using the attached form only (email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Fax: +359 2 980 36 62; address: 7-B, Stefan Karadja Str., Sofia 1000 Bulgaria); if applicable, documents proving eligible career breaks should also be provided;
- a scanned Ph.D. certificate
For Junior Scholars (up to 8 years after PhD defense) only: two reference forms by scholars familiar with the applicant's academic work should be faxed/mailed/emailed to CAS directly by the referees. All application documents should be presented in English and sent by e-mail to Mr Dimiter Dimov at email@example.com with a subject entry "Advanced Academia Fellowships".
High quality of the candidate's academic portfolio and publications, as well as participation in international research;
- Innovative fundamental research proposal with significant contribution;
- Interdisciplinary and/or comparative approaches are an advantage.
The selection will be carried out by the international Academic Advisory Council of CAS based on evaluation of the potential of the candidate relative to his/her career stage and the quality of the proposed project. Short-listed candidates will be invited for an on-line interview. The results will be announced in November 2018 by e-mail and at the website of the Institute: www.cas.bg. Members of the CAS Academic Council do not disclose their assessment reports on the applications to candidates. The Academic Council reserves the right, in cases of candidatures with equal quality, to grant the advantage to candidates that have not been CAS Fellows within the preceding 3 years/have not repeatedly held CAS fellowships in the past.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.