Poster Prize for Illustration
- This competition is run jointly by The London Transport Museum (company number: 06495761; registered office: 55 Broadway, London, United Kingdom SW1H 0BD) ("LTM") and the Association of Illustrators Limited (company number: 01237440; registered office: Somerset House, T7 3rd Floor Somerset House, Strand, London WC2R 1LA) ("AOI") who are the promoters of this competition.
- The competition is open to all illustrators and students of illustration worldwide, regardless whether you are a member of AOI or not.
- Agents or colleges may only submit entries on behalf of an illustrator with the express permission of the illustrator. If you are submitting the entry on someone's behalf both you and the person that you are submitting the entry on behalf of must comply with these competition terms.
- You must be over 18 years of age to enter. You may enter this competition more than once, but you may only be eligible to win in one category of prize. For example, you cannot win the gold, silver and bronze prize.
- Any person who is an employee of AOI, LTM or Transport for London ("TfL") and/or any other sponsor, board member or patron of AOI, LTM or TfL is not eligible to enter this competition. If any such person should enter then they will be automatically disqualified. AOI members (where they are not board members or patrons) are able to enter.
- You warrant that you have the right to submit the artwork in entry to this competition (the "Artwork") and any caption and documentation submitted relating to your Artwork (together being the "Submission").
- LTM and the AOI reserve the right to disqualify you if your Submission is contrary to these terms or the spirit of the competition.
The Competition: 2019 Theme
- The aim of The Poster Prize for Illustration 2019 competition is to attract original artwork for display in an exhibition at London Transport Museum that is colourful, inspiring and celebrates or is inspired by stories around cities in the UK. It is intended that the exhibition will feature 100 shortlisted Entries.
- It is desirable, but not essential, to include within the Artwork a representation of a mode or modes of transport (for example, this theme could be represented by illustrating the mode of transport itself, or it could be represented by illustrating the appropriate logo for the mode of transport). These modes include: Buses, Coaches, Cycling, Dial-a-Ride, Docklands Light Railway, Emirates Airline, London Overground, London Underground, river, roads, taxis and private hire, TfL Rail, trams and walking.
Entry Guidelines and Cost
- In entering this competition you agree that you can submit your Submission in accordance with the requirements of these terms, and in particular:
- you will submit your Artwork online at [www.theaoi.com] by no later than the confirmed deadline specified at the end of these terms. Your Artwork should be a portrait orientation image file saved as .jpg, .png or .gif , in RGB mode, and should be under 4MB up to 3000px for the longest dimension. LTM prefers that artworks conform to actual or pro rata standard poster size. If the winning image is selected to be printed on a poster, the dimensions are likely to be: - Double Royal – 635 x 1016mm (25 x 40 inches) or - Double Crown – 505 x 760mm (20 x 30 inches). However, for this exhibition these sizes are not prescriptive.
- if you are shortlisted, you will submit to email@example.com the high resolution electronic files of your Artwork which will be used by London Transport Museum and the AOI for merchandising and marketing purposes. The size specification for your high resolution electronic files are as above: - 635mm x 1016mm or - 505 x 760mm at 300dpi
- if you are shortlisted, you will submit to your own caption (in no more than 50 words / 200 characters) to explain the inspiration and rationale for your Artwork. This caption will be reproduced to accompany your Artwork if it is exhibited. The AOI and LTM reserve the right to edit captions.
- if your Submission is selected to exhibit at the London Transport Museum, you will submit your Submission in accordance with clause 4.
- Your Submission, must not be obscene or offensive, refer to or include any political, religious or sexual topic, weapons or violence, or any charity or commercial brand (other than LTM, AOI or TfL if desired). If people are included in the Submission, it is important to remember the ethnic and cultural diversity of our cities, and make provision accordingly.
- You warrant that your Submission is your own original work and it does not infringe the rights (including any intellectual property rights) of any third party.
- You shall immediately notify LTM and AOI in writing if you become aware of any claim made or threatened that the Submission (or any part) infringes the rights of any third party.
- There is no entry fee. However, all costs incurred by you relating to your Submission and this competition are your personal responsibility. There are no refunds for any entries including those which are submitted that are ineligible or submitted after the entry deadline. You must submit your Submission in accordance with these rules.
- The deadlines and key dates applicable to this competition are set out in the Schedule to these terms.
- Valid submissions will be evaluated based on the quality of illustration and the relevance of the image and caption to the theme.
- Your Submission will be judged in relation to the Gold, Silver and Bronze prizes by a committee of judges comprising of at least one independent member. The London Transport Museum Collection Prize will be separately decided by a vote open to members of the public who will decide, together with the Director of the London Transport Museum, which submission is to be awarded the LTM Museum Prize. Correspondence regarding the prize decisions will not be entered into and in awarding all prizes the judges' selections will be final.
- You will be informed whether or not you are shortlisted by email. Please ensure you can receive emails from our accounts containing the address: “ @theaoi.com ”.
- Award winners will be named at an award ceremony to be held at the London Transport Museum in Jan/Feb 2019. Attendance is by invitation only and you must be over 18 years of age to attend. Shortlisted artists who are invited to the award ceremony are permitted to bring one guest each. LTM and AOI reserve the right to refuse entry, or to expel, any individual(s) who are considered in LTM and AOI's opinion to be intoxicated, disorderly or abusive.
- Three cash prizes shall be awarded: Gold: £2000 Silver: £1000 Bronze: £750
- The Gold level prize may also include the display of the Artwork as a poster on Transport for London Services, the decision about whether to display the Artwork on the TfL network shall be made at TfL's sole discretion.
- LTM will offer one additional prize, the LTM Museum Collection Prize, with a cash value of £3,500. The original Submission, including any frame, will be retained by LTM and form part of their collection.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.