Photo Competition - Empowering Women
The theme of the contest
The Photo Competition (“The Competition”) is organized on "Empowering Women with Sustainable Energy" to promote awareness of the topic and demonstrate how women can impact and shape the energy sector and benefit from sustainable energy. The winner photos will be exhibited at an event organized by the European Commission’s Directorate-General for International Cooperation and Development (“DG DEVCO”) in 2018. Facebook will be the platform of the contest and all eligible received photos will be published on the designated page.
The Competition is open for free to individuals who are at least eighteen (18) years old. Trustees, Employees or interns working in the EU Institutions, as well as their immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of those employees, are not eligible to participate.
Submitted photos which are not related to the theme or do not comply with the present rules will not be eligible.
The Competition is organized by the European Commission’s Directorate-General for International Cooperation and Development (“DG DEVCO”), Rue de la Loi 41, 1049 Brussels, Belgium (“The Organiser”). The Competition is in no way sponsored by, endorsed by, administered by, or associated with Facebook.
The Competition takes place between 25 March 11:59 pm CET and 13 May 2018 11:59 pm CET. Photos that are submitted after the end date will not be eligible. The Organiser’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Competition.
How to Enter and Requirements
The participants are asked to provide maximum three (3) photo(s) capturing women's contribution to promoting sustainable energy in developing countries. This can entail women’s active role in the sustainable energy sector; women developing productive uses of sustainable energy and any other demonstration of women and sustainable energy as key drivers for social and economic growth in the developing world (based on the list from the OECD accessible in the following link: http://www.oecd.org/dac/financing-sustainable-development/development-finance standards/DAC_List_ODA_Recipients2014to2017_flows_En.pdf.)
The participants have to upload their photos with a title on EuropeAid Facebook page and tag it with "#EmpoweringWomen".
Participants will need to fill out a form providing: First/Last name, Date of Birth, Nationality and contact information. A short description in English, French or Spanish (max 600 characters) of the photo(s) outlining the theme, the context, location and date shot, will be required.
The photos shall fulfil the following requirements:
- Image files should be maximum 7 megabytes, preferably be in .jpg format, and must have a capture resolution of 1600x1200 pixels (or resolution of minimum 300 dpi.).
- Photos will only be accepted in digital format and must not be digitally enhanced or manipulated in any way or watermarked.
- Photos should neither violate the rights of a third party, nor contain offensive content.
- All entries, regardless of categories, must not: (a) violate the intellectual property rights of third parties; (b) be illegal under applicable national laws and international law; and (c) depict or incite hatred, defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten a specific person or social group, incite violence or conflict or otherwise violate the legal rights of third parties (including those of privacy and publicity).
A preselection of maximum thirty (30) best pictures will be made based on public popularity (Facebook likes received by 21 May 11h59 CET). There will be ten (10) final winners in ranking. The final selection of the 10 best photos will be made by the members of Jury, including both internal and external evaluators, on the basis of scope, originality and demonstration of women's engagement with sustainable energy and its uses. The winner's decision is final and without appeal. Please do not contact the Organiser about the status of entries.
The potential winners have to prove their eligibility to the Organiser. The Organiser will notify the winner via the contact information provided by the participant before the official announcement of the winner. If a potential winner fails to communicate with the Organiser within 15 calendar days after the announcement, the second name in the draw will be selected as the first winner.
The first 50 participants uploading their eligible photo will receive an EU sustainable goodies package.
The Organiser will award to the final winners:
one (1) grand prize consisting of a Nikon camera Kit (Nikon D5600 + AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR) sponsored by Nikon Holdings Europe B.V
one (1) second prize consisting of an adult scooter model Flex Black 200 mm PU, sponsored by Micro Mobility België - Odissey bvba
- for the third to fifth prize: 1) Mobiya solar lamps, sponsored by Schneider Electric
- for the sixth and seventh prize: One (1) bag with solar chargers offered by DG DEVCO
- for the eight till 10th prize: One (1) solar chargers offered by DG DEVCO
The winners of the contest will be announced on Facebook. The Organiser will notify the winners via email prior to the announcement.
The prizes will be shipped through a courier service to the address provided by the designated winner. The Organiser is not liable for any customs procedures or any other costs and expenses not listed above. The prize may not be transferred and must be accepted as awarded. The winner may not request cash or a substitute prize.
In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Competition is impaired in any way, the Organiser may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Competition to address the impairment and then resume it; or (b) award the prize(s) to one of the selected out of the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Organiser reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the operation of the Competition, violates these Rules, or acts in a disruptive or unsportsmanlike manner. The Organiser’s failure to enforce any term of these Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. In the event of a dispute as to the owner of an online entry, the authorized account holder used to enter will be deemed to be the owner.
Release and Limitations of Liability
By entering, the participant agrees to release and will not hold DG DEVCO, Facebook, their respective parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) responsible for and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Competition or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorised human intervention in the Competition; (b) technical errors; (c) printing errors; (d) late or undelivered mail; and (e) errors in the administration of the Competition. The participant waives the right to claim any attorney’s fees and any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
By entering the Contest, participant acknowledges that:
- the submitted photograph(s) is an original work created solely by the him/herself, that the photograph does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the photograph. Photos that violate or infringe upon another person's copyright are not eligible.
- Participants must possess all the proper authorizations from third parties as well as any necessary licenses or permissions when submitting their work. The submitted photos must not contain any material owned or controlled by a third party for which he or she has not obtained a license and must not infringe the copyright, trademark, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity. Entrants shall be held solely responsible with regards to issues of intellectual property rights and the contents of their work, in terms of persons, places or goods featured in their artwork or any trademark appearing on their pictures and any copyright infringement resulting from or related to this. The organizers will not accept any liability, obligation or responsibility with regards to contestants’ artworks.
All applicants will retain the intellectual property rights on the contents of their submissions. However, by entering the Contest, each applicant grants the Organiser a not limited, non-exclusive, global, royalty-free right and license to use, reproduce, communicate, demonstrate, make available for public, display and distribute the content of his/her submission for the Organiser’s, promotional, informational and educational or awareness purposes, via printed or digital or online media, including the Organiser’s website. The applicant hereby represents that he/she has the legal right to grant such license to the Organiser.
Privacy and Publicity
Any information the participant submits, when entering the Competition is provided to DG DEVCO, not to Facebook. Except where prohibited, the participant consents to DG DEVCO’s use of the participant’s name in any list of winners (if applicable) and for promotional purposes in any media without further payment or consideration.
The participant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Competition or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Brussels. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, the participant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Organizer in connection with the Competition, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Belgium, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of Belgium or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Belgium.
Acceptance of the Rules
Participation in the competition implies full acceptance of the above rules.
The Organiser reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any
the submission which does not comply with the present Rules.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.