Berlin Centre for Advanced Studies in Arts and Sciences (BAS) is Offering Fellowships
The Graduate School of the Berlin University of the Arts is a postgraduate and international programme of studies for highly qualified graduates in all disciplines who have already developed their own artistic or design positions. Interested persons are asked to submit an artistic or design project or research project that can be completed within two years.
The fellowship programme is aimed at graduates in all artistic and scientific disciplines who understand exchange with other disciplines as being an essential part of their work. The fellowship gives recipients the possibility to work intensively for two years on researching and producing or realising their own project. In addition, the Graduate School offers an opportunity for teaching and project integration within the framework of interdisciplinary collaborations between arts and sciences at the Berlin University of the Arts, as well as for individual supervision by professors from the areas of Fine Arts, Performing Arts, Music, and Architecture, Media and Design. The Graduate School sees itself as an academic forum for exchange, which supports fellows on a professional level in developing their work further, both in practice and in conceptual and discursive terms. Regular working group sessions and public events (for example, the “Salon für Ästhetische Experimente" series at the Haus der Kulturen der Welt or the concluding “Graduale” exhibition) give a form to the work process that, on the one hand, intensifies the work internally, while on the other serving to share it with the Berlin public. The program is therefore especially looking for candidates who are interested in participating in a common thought, exchange, and work process within the group and with other actors at the Berlin University of the Arts.
The fellowship comes with the title “Fellow of the Graduate School at the Berlin University of the Arts”. Support is provided for two years. The monthly stipend is €1,365 plus a grant for the cost of materials and a child allowance, when relevant. Prospective starting date: 1 April 2019.
The Graduate School will award at least four fellowships. The awarding of the fellowships is subject to the approval of the financial resources.
The Berlin University of the Arts is committed to increasing its share of young female artists and scholars and therefore expressly encourages women to apply.
Applications are accepted in both German and English.
The application process takes place in three stages.
The first stage (pre-application) is completed online. After filling in the application form, please send the following documents in a PDF file (maximum 5 MB) as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter (length 1 to 2 A4 pages, minimum font size 11) in which you present the following, among other things: How would your professional career benefit from a positive decision to award the fellowship? What do you expect from the artistic-intellectual exchange between the Graduate School fellows? How do you see your contribution to this forum?
- Project presentation (length 1 to 2 A4 pages, minimum font size 11)
- Short essay (length 1 to 2 A4 pages, minimum font size 11), in which you take a position on the following questions: How do you perceive your artistic work? In what contexts do you place your practice (artistically, socially, historically)? What inspires you?
- Copy of university degree certificate (equivalent to a Master's degree or Diplom) or proof of outstanding artistic aptitude and particular disciplinary skills, as attested by at least three years of successful professional practice in the form of certificates or similar documents.
Please note: the time-point of the electronic receipt of the application by the Berlin University of the Arts is decisive for the deadline for your application. Since the experience is that due to system overload, the transfer of applications takes longer, particularly during the last hours prior to the deadline, as a precaution, it is recommended submitting your application early. Applications that are received after the application deadline cannot be considered. If the jury selects your application in the first stage, you can expect to be informed by the mid-July 2018 and be asked for a detailed project presentation.
In the 2nd stage, please send the following documents in a PDF file (maximum 10MB) as an email attachment to
- Copy of university degree certificate
- Detailed project presentation (length 5 to 10 A4 pages, minimum font size 11)
- Evidence of artistic practice and project experience (3 to a maximum of 5 work samples)
- Other professional documentation, where appropriate
- Presentation of your temporal availability during the fellowship period
- Details of a planned course to be taught at the University of the Arts
- Indication of possible project partners
- Project-related letter of recommendation from a professor or lecturer or a personality in a discipline that is crucial for the project
- Provisional schedule, budget and financing plan for the project (each maximum 1 A4 page, minimum font size 11)
- As appropriate, evidence of particular honours and prizes, other relevant knowledge, as well as reports and evidence of any societal, academic, ecological, social, and other forms of engagement, and evidence of particular social, family or personal circumstances.
If the jury selects your application in the second stage, you can expect to be informed by the end of November 2018 and to be invited to an application interview.
The application interviews in the third stage are expected to take place in January 2019. You will be asked to bring the original of your university degree certificate or a certified copy and to present it at the application interview. If you are planning to work with partners, please bring written confirmations from the individual partners with you to the appointment. You can expect to be notified whether or not you have been chosen for a fellowship in February 2019.
Due to the costs involved, we will not send your documents back to you. However, you will be given sufficient time to collect them yourself. Applications that are not submitted by the deadlines or that fail to comply with the formal specifications cannot be considered.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.