A 3-year PhD Scholarship: Silk Road Heritage Crowdsourcing Project 2018, China
A 3-year PhD scholarship is available at the NVIDIA Joint-Lab on Mixed Reality hosting a Silk Road Heritage Crowdsourcing Project at the University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) with expected starting dates of September 2018. The university is seeking hard working and talented candidates in the area of Computer Science to apply.
The available PhD scholarships cover:
- Tuition fee
- on-campus accommodation for PhD candidate only (accommodation type is based on availability)
- Monthly stipend (RMB3,500)
- Medical insurance with designate providers
- All above items are covered for up to 36 months based on satisfactory progression
- All regulations set out in the UNNC PGR Scholarship Policy apply to this scholarship
In addition to the above scholarship, successful candidates also have the opportunity to carry out paid teaching or research assistant duties at UNNC.
Available PhD research projects:
The PhD scholarship will support the candidate in research within the exciting project titled “Cultural Heritage and Cross-Border Digital Communication in the Terrestrial and Maritime Silk Road: facilitating the Construction of a Cloud-Based Heritage Open VR Social Database”. The candidate will work with world-class facilities supported by NVIDIA and a network of experts in Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Photogrammetry, Drone 3D Surveys and Social Media built on a scalable database system and GPU acceleration. The core of the research is the investigation of crowdsourcing mechanisms and the understanding of crowdsourcing behaviour using data-science approach. Technical development is mandatory within the core research of the PhD.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To assist the principle investigator in developing a crowdsourcing architecture (edge nodes – asynchronous, distributed databases, parallel processing) for acquiring heritage related images
- To develop parallel and distributed systems parsing, storing, managing and generating 3D objects from 2D images using available libraries.
- To develop a multiplatform (iOS, Android, Web) social and crowd-sourcing application that appeals to the public to interact, and donates digital cultural heritage objects (2D, 3D).
- To investigate the core mechanisms facilitating crowdsourcing behaviour using data science approaches
- To assist in the management of NVIDIA Joint-Lab server, mobile and VR/AR facilities
Professor Eugene Ch'ng
Click for more details
Note: informal enquiries about the project may be sent to Professor Eugene Ch'ng, but formal applications should follow the instructions.
PhD programme structure
PhD programmes at the UNNC are composed of 3 years research and submission is expected within 3 years for full-time students. PhD supervision is undertaken jointly by academics from the University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) and the University of Nottingham UK (UNUK). On successful completion, students will be awarded the University of Nottingham PhD degree, and no reference will be made on the degree certificate as to where the degree has been completed. The University of Nottingham PhD degree will be accredited by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
- Applicants must have a first class honors undergraduate degree or 65% and above for a Masters’ degree from a British university, or the equivalent from other institutions
- Applicants must meet the required English language proficiency for the relevant subject area
How to apply
Please email scanned copies of the following documents to PHDadmissions@nottingham.edu.cn by 16:00 (China time).All documents must be in English. If original documents are not in English, a translated English version is required in addition to the original one. An application missing any of the following document (except for English language score) is incomplete and will not be considered.
- A completed application form (all fields filled)
- A research proposal
- Copies of degree certificates for undergraduate and postgraduate studies (Xueli certificates are required too for applicants from Chinese universities)
- Official transcripts with marks for all individual modules/courses from undergraduate and postgraduate studies (with official university stamp)
- English language test score (IELTS/ PTE academic) (not required for native English speakers)
- Two references (must be emailed directly by the referees)
- A copy of ID or passport (both sides of an ID card required)
- An electronic copy of a passport-sized photo taken within three months of this application
- A copy of the applicant's Masters’ dissertation, or a published paper or conference paper
The scholarships are competitive. It normally takes 5-6 weeks after the closing date to process the application.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.