Packaging Design Competition - Better with Less
Packaging design competition “Better with Less” challenges designers to create more environmentally-friendly solutions. Billions of consumer packages are consumed globally every day, and the amount is growing. The Better with Less – Design Challenge is challenging packaging designers to create ever more environmentally-friendly, functional packaging solutions for everyday goods. The international competition jury includes renowned packaging design experts.
Better with Less – Design Challenge starts 6 November, 2017. The international packaging design competition, organized by Metsä Board, aims to find new packaging solutions for some of the world’s most frequently used and fastest growing types of consumer packages.
Billions of consumer packages are consumed globally every day, and as the population continues to grow, so will the number of packages. The high amount of plastic used in packaging is an international concern, in part because globally the plastic waste inputs into the oceans amount annually to almost nine million tonnes.
Packages will continue to have an important role in protecting and promoting products in the future, but as consumption grows, it’s becoming ever more important to develop packaging solutions that enable the use of renewable, non-fossil based materials and a wiser use of resources. Metsä Board recognises that packaging designers play a decisive role in this and that environmental impacts can be reduced, for example, by making packaging lighter, using renewable materials and making recycling easier.
- The main material used shall be paperboard or other material that is sustainable, renewable or recyclable.
- The use of other materials such as metals, plastics, glass, etc. is allowed when complementary, structural or incidental to the above. However, the use of mono-material is preferred.
- All designs presented shall be new, not having been commercialised or published prior to the date of the contest.
All digital submissions must be made by using the submission form on the Better with Less – Design Challenge website. Digital submission must contain:
- A text document (max. 1500 characters) describing the inspiration and benefits of the concept.
- Up to 6 photos/illustrations on white background.
The following material can be submitted by the participant (optional):
- 3D visuals
- Creative video (max. 30 MB) presenting the concept.
The competition language is English.
- Aesthetic of the package (shelf appeal when seen for the first time)
- Product protection (package protects the product throughout the logistics chain)
- Sustainability (use of renewable and biodegradable materials, material efficiency, material saving, recyclability, reusability)
- Ergonomics / Functionality (is the package easy to store, hold, open and close?)
- User experience / Human interaction (emotional connection, storytelling, unboxing experience)
- Mass production and commercial feasibility (convertibility, scalability, packing and logistics efficiency, commercial potential)
- Degree of Innovation (application of a new idea, creative use of an existing idea, principles from other industries/techniques)
The following prizes will be awarded:
- 1st prize of 10,000 euros
- Student award of 2-month internship at the Metsä Board Packaging Services in Shanghai
- Three (3) honorary mentions
The winners will be awarded by a group of design and packaging professionals.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.