Postdoctoral Fellowship in Philosophy
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position
The Department of Philosophy at the University of Bergen, Norway, has a vacant three year Postdoctoral Fellowship as part of the project “Mathematics with a Human Face: Set Theory within a Naturalized Wittgensteinean Framework”. The project is led by Professors Sorin Bangu and Kevin Cahill, and is financed by the Research Council of Norway. The starting date for the fellowship is 1 August 2020.
About the project/work tasks:
The position is funded by the Norwegian Research Council, and connected to the project “Mathematics with a Human Face: Set Theory within a Naturalized Wittgensteinean Framework”. Further information about the project can be found here. The complete text of the grant application can be provided to interested applicants upon request.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a Norwegian PhD degree or an equivalent degree in philosophy. The doctoral thesis must have been submitted for assessment within the closing date of the application. It is a condition of appointment that the PhD has been awarded.
- The applicant must have a sound familiarity with the philosophy of later Wittgenstein as well as with philosophy of mathematics and philosophy of language. Expertise in the philosophy of set theory, philosophy of mathematical practice, philosophy of science and/or anthropological aspects of mathematics constitute an advantage.
- The applicant has to submit a project proposal with a progress plan for the project's main activities, and a plan for publishing results in recognized international channels. The leaders of the project can provide the interested applicants with additional information, upon request.
Academic quality is the main criterion for assessing applicants. If two or more applicants have equivalent qualification, the academic needs of the department can be decisive when applicants are ranked and recommended.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in professional top positions. The fixed-term period for this position is 3 years. The successful applicant shall prepare a plan for qualifying for top academic positions in cooperation with the Head of Department. The applicants must submit a proposal for this qualification plan.
It is a premise that the selected candidate will complete the project within the stipulated period of employment.
The successful applicant must have the University of Bergen as his or her regular workplace and conform to the regulations that apply to the position. A small amount of administrative duties (e.g., co-organizing workshops) is to be expected.
Candidates cannot be employed as a postdoctoral fellow for more than one fixed term period at the same institution.
- A good and professionally challenging working environment. The successful applicant will be involved in a series of events (conferences, workshops, research visits, editorial work) that will increase her/his visibility in the philosophical community.
- Salary in accordance with pay grade 60 (Code 1352/Pay range 24) in the state salary scale, currently NOK 531.900 gross p.a. following ordinary meriting regulations.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund. A compulsory 2 % contribution will be deducted from the gross salary.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise).
- Good welfare benefits.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: