Task Leader / National Expert on Energy Efficiency Standards for “Regulatory Framework to Promote Energy Efficiency in Countries of the Eurasian Economic Union” UNDP-RTF/00102117 Project
Duty Station - Yerevan, Armenia
Contract Duration - 1 year with possible extension, based on successful performance
Only nationals of Armenia country are eligible to apply.
The overarching goal of the regional project is to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases (GHG) by promoting energy efficiency (EE) in the countries of the Eurasian Economic Union (EEU), namely Armenia, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and Belarus, via strengthening the national systems for appliances EE standards. The project also will facilitate harmonization of test procedures, standards and labels among EEU countries, when appropriate. The project is expected to cost-effectively deliver an average reduction energy consumption in the residential and commercial energy use in partner countries. Introduction of energy efficiency standards for energy consuming products will contribute to the common market development, attraction of investment and achievement of the ultimate goal – reduction of greenhouse gas emissions. The project will focus largely on capacity building and assisting governments, standardization institutions, manufacturing, distributing, retail, consumer and environmental stakeholders throughout the EEU region to implement the most cost-effective energy efficiency measures available.
The project will consider the comparative advantage of each participating country, priority activities will be carried out to help foster each country's preferred processes under the project objective.
The project will build on a number of past and current UNDP activities in the partner countries in the area of EE. The project foresees significant cooperation with the Russian Federation, both through technical and advisory support and in terms of technology transfer.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Task Leader / National Expert will work under the overall supervision of the UNDP Sustainable Growth and Resilience (SGR) Portfolio Manager and direct supervision of UNDP Climate Change Programme Coordinator and in assistance of Senior International Consultant. The Project Task Leader/National Expert will be responsible for the project overall planning and implementation in line with the Project Document.
The Task Leader will be responsible for project coordination at the regional and national level, including annual planning, recruitment of the project expert team, procurement of goods and services organization of the workshops/trainings/consultations and reporting to UNDP, Donor and Steering Committee.
The incumbent will perform the following tasks:
- Support in developing detailed project work plan and relevant activities as per outputs; ensure efficient and timely implementation of those activities;
- Provide substantive support in identifying and recruiting the competent staff and subcontractors, formulate task’s technical specifications, participate in selection processes;
- Lead, supervise, and monitor technical expert’s team work, ensure timely delivery of outputs and conduct their performance appraisal for Regional and Armenia components of the project;
- Monitor and analyze the adequacy and content of the technical reports and project deliverables to achieve the project outcomes/outputs;
- Provide substantive support in the development of the project monitoring plan in line with the requirements indicated in the project document; support in developing TOR for final evaluation;
- Prepare progress reports in line with the project requirements for UNDP and Steering committee;
- Support Programme Coordinator in developing project terminal report;
- Liaise with the Government authorities, international partners to ensure participatory approach along the implementation process for achievement of project objectives.
- Provide technical backstopping and guidance to the national team of experts and subcontractors and supervise the work of technical experts.
- Coordinate the development of networking and information system activities relevant to the project implementation;
- Responsible for preparing analytical reports, background papers agendas, briefing and informative notes, and presentations in close cooperation with the Climate Change Programme Coordinator;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Corporate Competencies:
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced University Degree in the field of energy, engineering, business administration. The availability of Scientific Degree is an advantage.
At least 5 years of relevant experience at national or international level in project technical backstopping, planning, design, implementation and management.
At least 7 years of working experience in the field energy efficiency and greenhouse gas mitigation issues;
Experience in elabora¬tion/lo¬calization of energy efficiency regulatory documents and standards;
Demonstrated ability in co-operating with different stakeholders at all levels, such as government and municipal officials, scientific institutions, NGOs, private sector and international institutions.
Prior relevant experience with UNDP funded projects can be an asset.
Strong interpersonal skills with ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different social and cultural backgrounds;
Strong managerial and analytical skills; excellent coordination and collaboration skills, proven ability to work under time pressure and handle multiple activities and tasks concurrently.
Ability to work independently and to participate effectively in a team based information sharing.
Excellent knowledge of Armenian, Russian and English. Exceptional writing skills. Ability to review, prepare, present training materials, oral presentations. Proven knowledge of communication tools, good writing skills, track record with producing research/analytical reports and papers.
Good knowledge of computer software (MS Office, and task relevant specific software).
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Interested candidates can apply for the position here