Technical Task Leader for "Addressing climate change impact through enhanced capacity for wildfires management in Armenia”
Job ID - 12997
Duty Station - Yerevan, Armenia
Education & Work Experience - I-Master's Level Degree - 5 year(s) experience
Contract Duration - One year with possible extension (based on successful performance)
Only nationals of Armenia country are eligible to apply.
The objective of the project is to help address the critical issue of forest and wild fire risks in Armenia, exaggerated under the climate change, by supporting national partners building necessary technical capacity and establishing sustainable practices of monitoring, prevention and coordination of roles and responsibilities during suppression of forest fires. The project aims to contribute to the application of sustainable forest management practices, as well as conservation of agriculture lands and protection of forest ecosystems’ rich biodiversity.
The stated objectives will be ensured through provision of assistance for improvement and enforcement of the relevant policy and regulatory framework, strengthening forest fire early warning and monitoring systems, establishment of clear roles and responsibilities of corresponding national structures, and developing their technical capacity to execute their mandates. The project will provide for contemporary equipment, technologies, and other capacities to consolidate the efforts of respective stakeholders at regional and national levels.
The project will also involve forest neighbouring communities in all project activities as key stakeholders and steward for sustainable management of forest resources, including assistance in transfer and application of climate change mitigation innovative technological solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the UNDP Sustainable Growth and Resilience (SGR) portfolio analyst, the Project Technical Task Leader is responsible for the day-to-day management and implementation of the project, including all project administrative matters. Technical Task Leader’s prime responsibility is to provide technical guidance and oversight for all project activities to ensure that the project produces the results specified in the project document, to the required standard of quality and within the specified constraints of time and cost.
- Ensure efficient implementation and development of activities assigned under the project in accordance with the approved Project Document;
- Lead, supervise, and monitor project implementation process;
- Development of the project planning documents; monitor work plan implementation.
- Act as Project asset management custodian and ensure maintenance and update of the project office inventory records in line with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Provide substantive support in identifying and recruiting the competent staff and subcontractors, formulate their responsibilities as well as appraise their performance.
- Monitor and analyze the adequacy and content of the technical reports and project deliverables to achieve the project outcomes/outputs.
- Prepare reports on the operational status of the Project to the implementing, executing and funding agencies, in accordance with UNDP and Donor reporting guidelines and timelines; support SGR portfolio in elaboration of Results Oriented Annual Report (ROAR) and other UNDP specific reporting;
- Liaise with the Government, regional and local authorities, private sector, civil society organizations, and international partners to ensure participatory approach for achievement of project objectives.
- Coordinate and provide technical backstopping and guidance to the national team of experts and subcontractors (whenever relevant international experts).
- Coordinate the development of networking and information system activities relevant to the project implementation in the scope of the UNDP programme;
- Ensure that all relevant information is made available in a timely fashion to UNDP and relevant stakeholders regarding activities carried out nationally;
- Ensure proper maintenance and update of project information on Intranet and Atlas (QA, SESP, logs, monitoring);
- Support UNDP in preparing meeting/event supporting technical documentations, informative notes, thematic papers and case studies, media reports, briefing and presentations in close cooperation with the UNDP communication associate;
- Support UNDP in providing guidance and technical expertise on the formulation of strategic notes, analytical reviews, project ideas and concept proposals in the subject area;
- To conduct Project workshops and contribute to and participate in, portfolio meetings upon necessity; disseminate related materials and delivery of presentations as necessary;
- Perform other relevant duties, as required.
- Proven ability to promote cooperation between and negotiate with a range of stakeholders, and to organize and coordinate multi-disciplinary technical teams;
- Strong leadership and team-building skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different social and cultural backgrounds;
- Self-motivation, ability to work under time pressure and handle multiple activities and tasks concurrently;
- Proven knowledge of communication tools, excellent writing skills, track record with producing high quality research/analytical reports and papers;
- Ability to express ideas clearly in both verbally and in writing;
- Ability to work independently and to participate effectively in a team based information sharing.
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced University Degree in natural sciences, natural resource management, climate/disaster risk management and other relevant discipline. A relevant University degree in combination with qualifying experience in the area may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- 5 (five) years of related working experience in implementation of projects in forestry and community based natural resource management areas is required.
- Demonstrated experience and good knowledge of the national forest policy framework, climate change related agenda and mitigation/adaptation activities related to forest ecosystems. Prior relevant experience with UNDP and/or other internationally funded projects in the respective field is an asset.
- Experience in facilitating consultative processes and negotiating with high-level decision makers, forest enterprises and wide range of other stakeholders in the area of natural resources management;
Excellent knowledge of Armenian and English languages. Knowledge of Russian is an asset.
Good computer literacy, knowledge of MS office software and web based applications. Ability to work with office equipment.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Interested candidates can apply for the position here