The short term course of The Heritage of Islamic-Persian Architecture is dealing with architecture of Iran during Islamic time.
- 2-11 July, 2017
- 12-21 Tir, 1396
The aim of the course is to teach its participants to get acquainted with the history of architecture in Iran, its characteristics, various designing styles, decoration, the important masterpieces and the connection between spirituality and Islamic thought in Iranian architecture.
This is a 10-day study tour in five cities of Tehran, Isfahan, Kashan, Yazd and Qom.
The main programs are as following: holding theoretical and practical lessons, presenting various essays about Islamic architecture, visiting museums and masterpieces of architecture in Iran, getting familiar with social and traditional culture of Iran through participating in religious festivals, performing Iranian traditional music, theater, movies and showing Iranian miniature.
Recommended Sources for Pre-reading
i. Islamic Studies:
- Shi’ite Islam by Sayed Muhammad Hossein Tabataba’i
- Following Muhammad: Rethinking Islam in the Contemporary World (Islamic Civilization and Muslim Networks) by Carl W. Ernst
ii. Islamic art Studies:
- The Wisdom of Islamic Art by Seyyed Razi Mousavi Gilani | Download PDF
- Methodology of Islamic Art by Seyyed Razi Mousavi Gilani | Download PDF
- The art and architecture of Islam 1250-1800
- Book by Sheila S. Blair
- Islamic Art and Architecture 650-1250 by Richard Ettinghausen
- Islamic Art by Barbara Brend
iii. Islamic Architecture:
- Islamic Architecture: Form, Function, and Meaning by Robert Hillenbrand
- The Sense of Unity: The Sufi Tradition in Persian Architecture Paperback by Nader Ardalan, Laleh Bakhtiar
|€1500||Early Registration (Dec 15, 2016 -March 21, 2017)|
*For the countries whose citizens are NOT required to obtain visa to enter Iran.
- The ten-day program fee (Except Flight and Visa payments) includes: airport transfers, program transport and travel, housing arrangements, meals, lectures and presentations, program pamphlets or handbook, visits to museums, historical sites and art centers.
- All hotel rooms are booked as double. For single room it is needed to pay additional money: 32 euro per night.
- The application for candidacy for Fellowship is in addition to registration for the program and it is needed to write two letters entitled as:
- Requesting fellowship (includes the reasons and amount of fellowship)
- Interests (includes the applicant’s interests and the aims of participating in the course)
- 100 euro must be paid as a deposit on booking in order to confirm the applicant’s place on the course. The balance must be paid IN CASH in Iran before the start of the course. Deposits shall not be refunded for cancellations.
The course is a great way to experience Iranian culture and civilization and by the end of the course, you understand Islamic Persian architecture, its characteristics, different styles, philosophical bases and connection to spirituality and religion. Also, you will learn to see the various issues of Islamic Persian Architecture in Iranian perspective.
To participate in the ten-day program, applicants are required to agree to:
- Make a presentation in all classes and Workshops/discussions organized as part of the program.
- Submit a final report to ISOA by September 30, 2017, which describes the experiences and findings on the course. The final reports become the property of ISOA to be posted to its website for use by other applicants.
All students receive a graduation certificate upon completion of their program, which is granted by University of Tehran and Islamic School of Art (ISOA).
Applications must include all required documents and be submitted no later than April 20, 2017 to the Islamic School Of Art (ISOA), the course of Heritage of Islamic Persian Architecture. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Required Documents (Electronic copies required)
- Resume: A list of your current academic position, educational achievements, and professional activities. Provide details regarding previous curriculum and/or staff development experiences
- A completed form of ISOA Short term course. Click here to download the form.
For further information please contact:
Maryam Kheradmand (International communication coordinator) firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or Muhammad Hossein Ashtiani (Director of scientific cooperation office and international affairs) email@example.com.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: