Shaw Media Internships for Students with Disabilities
The Shaw Media Internships for Students with Disabilities are a series of internships designed to encourage and aid Canadian talent in establishing or furthering a career in the Canadian broadcast industry. These annual internships reflect Shaw Media’s commitment to the diversity of talent and perspectives that comprise our ever-changing Canadian culture.
These annual internships, valued at approximately $10,000 each, are offered to Canadian students with disabilities. The recipients will receive a challenging opportunity to work in private television in pursuit of a career in broadcasting. The students will be placed in three to four month paid internships at one of our Global television stations, or our Specialty television facility.
Applications for Summer 2016 internships will be due by March 18th, 2016.
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- A student with a disability;
- Demonstrated interest in, and aptitude for, a career in the broadcast industry;
- Strong English language communication skills;
- Be in good academic standing;
- Currently enrolled in full-time studies at an accredited Canadian post-secondary institution in the field of broadcasting, radio and television arts, or broadcast journalism
- Students must be returning to their studies following the internship, or have completed their program of study no earlier than April 2015.
In support of your application please submit the following:
- Completed application form;
- Proof of current registration in full time radio and television arts or broadcast journalism program at an accredited Canadian post-secondary institution;
- Copy of official transcript of marks from most recent educational institution;
- Resume of recent or relevant work experience;
- One page typewritten statement, 500 words or less, outlining your educational and career goals;
- Three typewritten letters of reference (e.g. teacher, employer);
- Completed Health Care Provider information form.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- If applicant does not meet the eligibility criteria, the application will be disqualified;
- Applications from those who have already participated in a Shaw Media/Canwest internship will not be considered;
- Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted;
- Judging decisions are final;
- There will be no cash substitutions for the award or any portion thereof.
- The recipient will intern at one of Shaw Media’s broadcast properties (Global or Specialty) and will be paid on a salary basis for a period of 3-4 months;
- The intern must be willing and able to relocate to any one of the Shaw Media broadcast properties if necessary. Location of internship will be determined by Shaw Media;
- Should relocation from the recipient’s current place of residence be required, an allotment of up to $1200 may be granted for moving expenses, and will be paid directly to the recipient after submission of receipts;
- Recipient will intern in an entry level position within an area determined by Shaw Media. Determined based upon the interests and skills of the intern and the requirements of Shaw Media.
Your application will be considered by a cross-Canada panel that includes representation fromShaw Media, the broadcast industry, and Lights, Camera, Access! Please note that finalists may be required to participate in a qualifying interview (telephone or in person) before an ultimate selection is made. Judging decisions are final.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: