Advertisement of One Scholarship for Doctoral Studies in the „Ancient Philosophy and History of Ancient Science“ Program
The Graduate School Scholarship Program (GSSP) of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is offering one doctoral scholarship to research and complete a doctorate in the “Ancient Philosophy and History of Ancient Science” program at the Berlin Graduate School of Ancient Studies (BerGSAS). We welcome applications from highly qualified graduates from the fields of Ancient Philosophy, Classics, or History of Ancient Science. Candidates must hold an outstanding Master's degree, or equivalent degree, in one of the aforementioned subjects or be very close to completion. The scholarship is available from October 2018 for three or four years (subject to a satisfactory annual progress review).
The call is open only to applicants who are not German citizens who have not resided in Germany continuously for longer than 12 months as of the application deadline their last final exam (Master’s Degree) should have taken place no longer than six years ago
Dissertation proposals: For the Ancient Philosophy pathway of the program we particularly welcome dissertation proposals, which involve both philosophy and one or more special sciences (including mathematics, medicine, and other disciplines that we might not today consider special sciences, such as grammar or divination). For the History of Ancient Science pathway of the program we also (but not exclusively) welcome dissertation proposals that consider philological, social and cultural aspects of the ancient sciences, both in the Greco-Roman and in the ancient Near Eastern, Early-Christian and Islamic world. Language skills: Candidates are expected to have sufficient command of the relevant ancient languages for their dissertation project. Since the language of instruction is predominantly English, their English should be good enough to join discussions and write papers.
In accordance with DAAD guidelines, doctoral scholarship holders receive a basic monthly stipend of 1.000 Euros, a travel allowance, a combined health, accident and liability insurance policy, allowances for study and research and, where applicable, rent and family allowances, as well as financial support for a pre-sessional language course.
Candidates must send their application before December 1, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- an application form
- a curriculum vitae (CV, resume)
- a cover letter that explains your motivation for applying to the doctoral program
- two letters of recommendation by two university professors from your home university. Please use the DAAD letter of recommendation form
- a research proposal (5 pages)
- a work plan and schedule for three years
- a writing sample (15-20 pages)
- copies of certificates and copies of translated documents (the copies don’t have to be certified!):
- copies of certificates of annual examinations taken at the home university
- copies of certificates of any academic degrees or advanced qualifications indicating grades and explaining the home university’s grading system
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: