About the Scholarship Programe
Scholarships are awarded to International students undertaking a research Doctoral degree on the basis of academic excellence and research potential.
RMIT PhD International Scholarships (RPIS) are funded by RMIT University.
Value and duration
The value of the RMIT PhD International Scholarships increase annually in accordance with indexation. In 2015, the RMIT PhD International Scholarship provided the following benefits:
- tuition fees for the standard duration of your research scholarship
- the cost of an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) policy for the standard duration of your program
- a stipend of $28,849 per annum pro rata (full-time mode) which is equivalent to the Government APA rate of $25,849 plus an RMIT top up of $3000
- a relocation allowance for the cost of relocating in order to take up your PhD program, up to $515 per adult and $255 per child to a maximum of $1540
- paid sick, maternity and parental leave (within the limits of the Scholarship Guidelines).
The standard duration of a research doctorate scholarship is three years full-time. Candidates may apply for an extension of up to six months subject to satisfactory progress and school approval.
The duration of an RPIS will be reduced by any periods of study undertaken towards a research degree prior to the commencement of the RMIT PhD.
To be considered for a scholarship you must hold, or be currently completing:
- a Master by research
- a Master by coursework with a significant research component graded as high distinction, or equivalent
- a Honours degree achieving first class honors
- a 4 year bachelor degree achieving a GPA of 4 or equivalent (80% or above).
If you do not hold one of the above qualifications, you will only be considered for the scholarship if you have previous publications or significant research experience.
In addition to the above, to be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- have achieved excellent academic results
- have been offered a place in a PhD program at an Australian RMIT campus commencing in 2016
- have been offered a place that is not conditional on meeting English language requirements OR provide evidence of English language proficiency and meet the English language requirement of the research program before the closing date of the scholarship application
- not already hold a research qualification equivalent to an Australian research doctorate
- provide details of any external funding for tuition or living expenses that you have received or applied for
- hold an Australian student visa for the term of the scholarship and comply with the conditions of the visa.
RMIT may also consider you if:
- you are a non-RMIT student who commenced a research program at another eligible institution but terminated your enrolment within six months of starting
- you are applying for or have received external funding for your living expenses.
RMIT will consider you ineligible if:
- you commenced your research program prior to Semester 1 2016.
Key dates and how to apply
For information relating to scholarship opening rounds and to apply for a scholarship, please refer to the instructions detailed on research scholarships.
All scholarship applications will be ranked based on a model approved by RMIT’s Research Committee.
As the holder of this scholarship you:
- must commence your studies in 2016 (either Semester 1 or Semester 2)
- are not able to defer your studies to another year.
If you have dependents, the RPIS will provide an Overseas Student Health Cover policy to cover them also.
As a guide, RMIT University requires that you meet English language requirements for entry into research programs. Your test result must be current (i.e. taken no more than two years before your research program commences).
Your RMIT English test result must also be current (i.e. taken no more than one year before your research program commences).
Some programs have higher English language requirements. Details are included in each program summary.
See the Research Scholarship Terms and Conditions (PDF 326KB 10p) for more information.
- JASON a nation-wide postgraduate scholarship database
- Other scholarships at RMIT
- How to apply for a research degree
SGR Scholarship team
+61 3 9925 4603
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: