RISE-Globalink Research Internship
Mitacs has partnered with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), to support the mobility of students from Canadian universities to German universities and institutions.
Mitacs is a Canadian non-profit organization. Through unique research and training programs, Mitacs is developing the next generation of innovators with vital scientific and business skills. In partnership with companies, government, and academia, Mitacs is supporting a new economy using Canada’s most valuable resource — its people.
The DAAD is the world’s largest funding organization for the international exchange of students and researchers and is the German national agency for the support of international academic cooperation. Its Research Internships in Science and Engineering (RISE) program, of which RISE-GRI is a part, provides summer research internships to North American and British students, and aims to promote student exchange to Germany in the fields of natural science, engineering, and life sciences, and to motivate undergraduate students to learn more about Germany’s research landscape and study opportunities.
In order to be eligible for a RISE-Globalink Research Internship, a student must:
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or international student
- Students with German citizenship must be able to prove that they have been living outside of Germany for six or more years
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be registered for full-time undergraduate studies at a Canadian university in the field of biology, chemistry, physics, earth sciences, or engineering (or a closely related field), and remain as such during the RISE-Globalink Research Internship
- Have completed at least two years in a four- or five-year undergraduate degree
- Demonstrate skills and interest suitable to the project in question
- Have a minimum grade average of 80% or equivalent
- Demonstrate oral and written fluency in English (working language is English)
- Meet all necessary travel requirements for the intended destination
Please contact the RISE Germany team at rise-germany(at)daad.de if you have questions about eligibility.
Expectations of Participants
All parties involved with Mitacs Globalink must comply with the Canadian home university’s policies regarding the ethical conduct of research and scholarly activities. Any issues or disputes around research or academic misconduct will be subject to the home Canadian university’s processes following their institutional policies.
Expectations of the Student
Prior to and during the RISE-Globalink Research Internship, students are expected to:
- Make all necessary pre-departure preparations in consultation with the appropriate university office(s), including:
- Applying for appropriate travel documents, including passport and visa, and consulting the relevant consulate where necessary
- Obtaining appropriate immunization and/or prophylaxis for regional destinations and ensuring that routine immunizations are up to date. Consultation with travel medical and all health care providers is strongly recommended.
- Registering with the Registry for Canadians Abroad or foreign office of country of citizenship before leaving Canada
- Registering with the home university’s Safety Abroad Database or equivalent thereof
- Attending all mandatory sessions prior to departure and during the project as stipulated by the home and host universities
- Complying with home university policies surrounding research abroad
- Complying with host university policies surrounding visiting scholars
- Making appropriate travel bookings
- Provide updates on the status of the project to Mitacs, as required
- Ensure confidentiality of partner university information as specified in the research plan
- Prepare a final report for Mitacs at the conclusion of the project that details the research performed, its results, and any recommendations, with input from the host supervisor(s)
- Complete a Mitacs exit survey within one month of the completion of the project
- The length of the RISE-Globalink Research Internship is a minimum of 10 weeks up to three months. Projects must take place between May and September, and must start between May 15, 2017, and July 10, 2017.
- Each approved award will receive $5,200 from Mitacs. The award will support the student's travel and accommodation costs, including transportation costs, accommodation in Germany, and a student stipend, based on a 12-week research internship.
- The award also includes health insurance as well as accident and personal liability insurance, issued directly through the DAAD insurance office. In addition, all scholarship holders are invited to a paid three-day RISE Germany meeting in Heidelberg on July 6–8, 2017. All participants of the RISE Germany meeting will receive an allowance of €160 from the DAAD to buy a Rail Pass.
- All scholarship holders need a German bank account to receive the travel stipend from DAAD. We recommend that students open an account as soon as they arrive in Germany. Students may also use their PhD supervisor’s bank account if they are not able to open their own.
- The DAAD is not allowed to transfer the travel stipend onto foreign bank accounts
- No funds will be released if the completed International Pre-Departure Form and/or Mitacs Student Code of Conduct and Ethics forms are outstanding
Mitacs recognizes that awarded funding may not be sufficient to cover all costs associated with travel for research projects abroad, and applicants are encouraged to seek support from other sources. Discretion should be used when allocating funds towards travel and accommodations (e.g., Mitacs funds may only be used towards lowest cost economy class tickets for travel).
Please note that the RISE-Globalink Research Internship is competitive, with limited placements available. All applications will undergo review by an interdisciplinary team.
Maximum Number of Projects
Students are eligible to participate in ONE RISE-Globalink Research Internship per academic lifetime.
For more information click "Further official information" below.