Call for VisArts Studio Artists
- Lease period: September 1, 2017 – August 31, 2018
- Deadline: Friday, June 16, 2017 at midnight EST
- Notification to selected artists: Friday, June 23, 2017
VisArts invites applications from local and national artists for studio space at VisArts in Rockville, Maryland. The Studio Artist Program provides a unique opportunity for a dynamic individual artist or collaborative artist team to experiment, create new work, evolve an existing body of work or develop a project in a stimulating, supportive environment. Studio space is provided to selected artists for a reasonable cost for up to three years. The Studio Artist Program encourages interaction, dialogue and exploration both within the VisArts artist community and the larger Rockville community as well. Each year the current Studio Artists will present their work in a group exhibition at VisArts. Teaching opportunities at VisArts are also available for Studio Artists.
The VisArts Studio Artists are encouraged to engage with the VisArts and greater Rockville communities. Engagement can take form in a number of ways including public artist talks, workshops, screenings, community or socially-engaged art projects, open studio events, or other mutually agreed upon events. The foundation of the Studio Artist Program is based on generosity, respect, and creativity.
VisArts is an independent non-profit art center located in the heart of Rockville Town Square, a thriving gathering place for the local community. VisArts presents exhibitions of contemporary emerging and established artists in four galleries. The center hosts an Emerging Curator Program, a Studio Artist Program, and an Art Education Program making it an active and important presence in the greater metropolitan arts community.
Rockville is a progressive, diverse city in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. It ranks nationally and state-wide as a leader in environmental sustainability and green power use. Rockville is recognized for its high quality of life, excellent schools, numerous public parks, well-educated, and culturally diverse population. encouraged to Local resources include: Rockville Library, Montgomery College Rockville campus and other local schools, historical sites, Rock Creek Park, the Potomac River watershed, and Rockville’s diverse community. Rockville offers easy access to public transit to Washington, D.C. via the Red Line Metro, an excellent bus system, bike trails, and parking.
The Studio Artist program does not provide housing for artists.
Application and Selection Process
- Images: Submit 10 images of work produced during the last four years. Work samples can be a combination of high resolution jpgs and time-based media (*up to 10 minutes total). *For collaborative teams, 10 images of collaborative work are required as well as a statement of the collaborative nature of the work. *Two minutes of video, film, sound or performance documentation = one work. Artists may choose to include links to Vimeo or You Tube public accounts for time-based work samples.
- Image Requirements: You may submit up to 10 images. They must be in .jpg, .tiff, .png, or .gif file format. Minimum image resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. Maximum file size 5MB per image. Files must be labeled in the following way: first name last name-title of artwork-1.ext, first name last name-title of artwork-2.ext, etc. The file number corresponds with the number on the list of works. (Ex. John Doe-Untitled-1.jpg)
- List of Works Form- Numbered list of artworks with the following information: artist name, title of artwork, year, dimensions, a description of artwork is optional.
- Artist Bio (200 word max.)- Third-person paragraph highlighting your professional achievements.
- Artist Statement (100 words max.)
- References- Provide contact information for two references who can address your work as an artist.
- Studio Proposal:
- Describe your goals for being a Studio Artist at VisArts, how you might engage with the community, or use community resources. You may include a drawing or representative images to help describe your specific proposal. (250 words max.)
- Please indicate preferred studio size (first and second choice):
_____ 169 sq. ft. studio with large windows- $331.66/month
_____ 248 sq. ft. interior studio- $460.12/month
- $15 application fee
All applications will be reviewed by a panel of artists and arts professionals.
Transforming individuals and communities through the visual arts.
From our beginning in 1987 as Rockville Arts Place operating in a converted garage to our current contemporary, state of the art facility in Rockville Town Square, VisArts has served local residents, students, art lovers, professional artists and others with an interest in the arts. Each year, VisArts welcomes more than 25,000 visitors through our doors to participate in art education classes and camp programs, attend events in our Buchanan Room, visit one of our four galleries or observe our studio artists on our second floor Artist Concourse.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.