How to Apply
The Research Grant Programme financially supports academic and scientific research that will deepen knowledge of the nature conservation in developing countries in the Asia-Pacific region. With the aim of strengthening research capacity of young researchers in that region, grants are available only for individual researchers, but not for groups/teams, to enhance their skills, knowledge, and experience through their own research work.
Grant size and duration
The maximum grant size in this programme is 500,000 Japanese yen per project for a maximum duration of two year.
An applicant must:
- be a national of developing country in the Asia-Pacific region (see 3. Target countries and regions below);
- be a researcher/scientist, who works full-time or is enrolled in a doctoral course, conducting research at a research
- institution or relevant organisation in one of the target countries listed in 3. Target countries and regions below;
- have sufficient experience and skills in conducting and managing the proposed research;
- be able to communicate in English;
- not have another application to the NEF; AND
- not have another on-going research or publication project funded by the NEF at the time of application submission.
A proposed research project must:
- be scientific research contributing to the nature conservation of the country where the applicant currently works or studies;
- be carried out in the country where the applicant currently works or studies;
- involve fieldwork for collecting data;
- be applicant's own research work (team projects are ineligible.);
- achieve its objective(s) and submit reports within one to two years as scheduled; AND
- be exclusively funded by the NEF Research Grant Programme, or co-funded with the applicant's institution.
How to Apply
1. What to submit
Applicants are required to submit: a completed application form and a recommendation letter. Instructions and application form are available at Forms & Guidelines in the "Further official information" link below.
2. Where to submit
All documents (a completed application form and a recommendation letter) should be submitted to the NEF Secretariat by e-mail (email@example.com) in MS Word or PDF or by fax (+81-3-6659-2272).
If e-mail access or fax is unavailable, hard copies can be mailed to:
Nagao Natural Environment Foundation
3-3-7 Kotobashi, Sumida-ku
Tokyo 130-0022 Japan
Application deadlines for this year are twice a year: 18 April 2016 and 17 October 2016.
All the documents must reach the NEF Secretariat before/by the deadline date for either April or October. Delayed submission of any required document will not be accepted.
The NEF Secretariat will check applications whether all the requirements mentioned above are fulfilled. Only those qualified applications will be examined twice a year by the NEF Selection Committee for final decision. Please note that your final grant amount may be the same as or lower than budget amount you requested based on selection results.
The following factors will be considered during the selection process:
- relevance and importance to nature conservation;
- originality and quality of proposed research;
- feasibility of the research design/plan and schedule;
- reasonableness of the budget;
- applicant’s past achievements/experience in related research; and
- recommender’s statement on the applicant and application.
5. Result notification and remittance
Evaluation result will be announced by two to three months after each deadline. If granted, the NEF Secretariat also informs the applicants the payment process.
For more information click "Further official information" below.