About Protede Course
The Protégé Short Course provides an in-depth introduction to ontology engineering in the Web Ontology Language (OWL). The team covers best practices in ontology building and the latest Semantic Web technologies, including OWL 2, RDF and SPARQL.They also cover topics such as collaborative development, and data access and import from different data sources.Most of course is hands-on. During the hands-on portion of the course, participants will learn how to navigate the latest version of the Protégé and WebProtégé toolsets, which support the full OWL 2 standard. Protégé is the most popular and widely used ontology editor in the world with a vibrant community of over 300,000 registered users.
The course is taught by members of the Protégé team. Enrollment is limited to ensure optimal learning experiences.Target audience members include everyone who wishes to develop or enhance their skills for building OWL ontologies using Protégé. The course can benefit both beginners with no prior experience of the Protégé toolset and/or ontology development and intermediate users of Protege Desktop or WebProtege. In order to provide a successful learning experience, we expect that the participants are proficient with common computer usage tasks (e.g., downloading files, installing applications, copy-n-paste, using a text editor, using a Web browser, etc.).
- Steps in the ontology development process
- Semantic Web technologies, e.g., OWL, RDF, and SPARQL
- OWL 2 language, reasoning, and querying
- Collaborative ontology development
- Import from spreadsheets and other data sources
- Linking to existing databases (OBDA)
- Learn best practices in ontology modeling
- Learn to avoid common ontology development pitfalls
- Hands-on use of the Protégé toolset
- Practice new skills with optional modeling assignments
- Direct interaction with the Protégé team
- Network with fellow Protégé users
- Explore the beautiful Stanford campus!
Student Validation Requirements
To qualify for a student rate, you must be a full-time student and provide proof of your student status in the form of a copy of your student ID or a letter of acceptance to your academic program. You must submit this information to us within one week of registering for the course. Please provide your verification document via email in PDF format.
All cancellations must be received no later than October 2, 2017. The following fees will apply for cancellations:
- Registrants canceling on or before September 18, 2017 will receive a refund of their registration fee, less a 5% processing fee.
- Registrants canceling after September 18, 2017, but on or before October 2, 2017, will forfeit 50% of their registration fee.
- Registrants canceling after October 2, 2017 will forfeit their entire registration fee.
- Confirmed registrants who do not attend and do not cancel are liable for the entire registration fee.
The Protege Short Course is a hands-on course. The purpose of this page is to give detailed instructions for installing the required software components that will be used during the course.They highly recommend that you install the required software on your laptops before the start of the course in order to avoid holding up sessions for software installation issues.Please note that they do not provide laptops for participants.
- Short slide set with an overview of Protege main features
- Short screencasts (~ 1 minute long) showing how to do basic things in Protege
- Tutorials and introductory materials from our wiki.
The only required software for the hands-on part is Protege. The detailed, step-by-step installation instructions for different platforms are available here. If you are using the latest macOS 10.12 (Sierra), please note the additional one-time step needed to run Protege. You will use Protege 5.2.0 for the course. Please make sure that you have this version installed on your laptops prior to the course. You may download and install Protege from the main Protege website.During the course, we will install additional Protege plugins. We will also use WebProtege, which requires a Web browser, preferably Firefox or Chrome.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.