Hrant Dink was a Turkish-Armenian editor, journalist and columnist. As editor-in-chief of the bilingual Turkish-Armenian newspaper Agos, Dink was a prominent member of the Armenian minority in Turkey. Hrant Dink Foundation was set up in 2007 to carry on Hrant's dreams, Hrant’s struggle, Hrant’s language and Hrant’s heart. The Foundation defines the development of a culture of dialogue, empathy and peace as the basis of all its activities, which concentrate on the following areas:
- working toward equal opportunity among children and young people, and supporting their creativity,
- ensuring that cultural diversity is recognised as a richness and differences are acknowledged as a right,
- developing cultural relations among the peoples of Turkey, Armenia and Europe,
- supporting Turkey’s democratization process,
- supporting efforts to write histories devoid of nationalism and racism,
- gathering articles, photographs, and documents about Hrant Dink.
Hrant Dink Foundation undertakes multifaceted activities in these areas, such as publishing books, creating archives, organizing summer schools, organizing film, music, visual arts, dance and literature festivals, and giving awards in memory of Hrant Dink.