MESA 2019 Annual Meeting
Call for Papers
The Middle East Studies Association calls for submissions from members for its 53rd annual meeting, November 14-17, 2019, in New Orleans, LA.
All submissions must be made through myMESA, MESA’s membership and electronic submissions system. The system opens on January 1, 2019, and closes at midnight (Mountain Standard Time) on February 15, 2019.
Questions about the submission process are always welcome. Please email Mark Lowder at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2019 meeting does not have a theme. MESA is primarily concerned with the area encompassing Iran, Turkey, Afghanistan, Israel, Pakistan, and the countries of the Arab World from the seventh century to modern times. Other regions, including Spain, Southeastern Europe, China and the former Soviet Union, also are included for the periods in which their territories were parts of the Middle Eastern empires or were under the influence of Middle Eastern civilization. Comparative work is encouraged.
- You must be a MESA member for 2019 to submit a proposal. The system will not let you submit if your membership is not current. If you qualify and would like to request a membership waiver, please complete the form.
- You must pre-register for the meeting by no later than May 15 if you have been accepted on the program. After that date, you will be dropped from the program without the chance to join later and without notification.
- You can submit ONLY ONE paper abstract, whether for a pre-organized panel or a put-together panel. One and only one!
- You may participate in NO MORE THAN TWO sessions, and while we will try to make sure those sessions are not scheduled at the same time, we cannot guarantee that they will not be scheduled back-to-back or on the first and last day.
Before Beginning Your Submission:
1. Log-in to myMESA. If you are a new user, you will need to set up your account. Returning users will enter their email address and password.
2. Update or complete your user profile. Click the “Profile” button. Click “Personal Info” below that. Check your data, update and enter information as necessary. Click the “category complete, next category” button at the bottom right of the page...this saves your data and moves you to the next section. Keep going through all sections of your profile until complete.
3. Pay 2019 membership dues. Under “membership status” do you see a green check or a red x next to “2019 Membership”? A green check means that your dues are current. A red x means that you need to pay dues. To pay dues, click the “Payments” button on the left and follow the instructions.
4. Familiarize yourself with submission categories and programmatic requirements. This information is key to a successful submission, because it tells you what the program committee will use as review criteria.
Categories of Presentation
There are five categories of presentation:
Individual Paper for panel placement
Special or Current Issues Session
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.