Thousands of study and academic opportunities in Arabic Studies are available internationally. Conferences and summer schools in Arabic Studies are organized regularly in the best academic centers of the world. The majority of universities and many foundations also offer BA, MA, and Ph.D. programs in Arabic Studies as wells as postdoctoral research grants, awards, and fellowships. Below you will find the updated list of international opportunities available in Arabic Studies.
Arabic Studies Scholarships
- Qalam WA AWU Scholarships and Grants
- The University of Rhode Island Arabic B.A. Scholarships
- Arabic Critical Language Scholarship
- Qatar University Arabic for Non Native Speakers Scholarships
- Industry Arabic Scholarships
- Georgetown University Department of Arabic and Islamic Studies Financial Aid
- University of Louisville Middle East and Islamic Studies Program Scholarships
- The University of Edinburgh Islamic and Middle Easter Studies PhD Scholarship
- Oxford Center for Islamic Studies Scholarship
- Arabic Linguistics Institute Scholarship
Arabic Studies Fellowships
- Arab Fund Fellowship Program
- Center for Arabic Study Abroad Fellowships
- The American University in Cairo Arabic Language Fellowship
- Columbia University Undergraduate research & Fellowship
- GMU Fellowship Opportunities
- A. J. Meyer Fellowship
- UCLA Arabic Language Fellowship
- The Menar Fellowship Program
- New York University Humanities Research Fellowship for the study of the Arab World
Arabic Studies Conferences
- Arabic Language and Culture Conference
- Arabic Language Conference
- Annual Arabic Language Teaching & Learning in UK Higher Education Conference
- Arabic Applied Linguistics Conference
- Pan Arab Conference on Diabetes
- Scientific Research Challenges in the Sciences and Literature of the Arabic Language
- Oxford Center for Islamic Studies Conferences
- Middle East Studies Association Annual Meeting
Arabic Studies relevant accounts on Twitter
Arabic Studies as an academic discipline
Arabic Studies is the academic approach to the region, culture, and lifestyle, which has much to share with the world. The Middle East and Arabic culture is the source for many pearls of wisdom, which other countries adopt and use in their lives. Arabs are also carriers of the ancient religion and languages, which help students develop not only knowledge specifically for the region, but a general cultural understanding.
Find the academic programs in the Middle East or Oriental Studies faculties
Arabic studies represent a core part of Middle East studies. That’s why in the majority of the universities, you should refer to the respective faculty to find Arabic studies programs. In some universities, you might not find a separate Arabic studies academic program. Instead, you can find a particular course or direction within the Middle East faculties.
You can meet Arabic studies programs less frequently in Oriental studies. However, that’s also a working method. Oriental studies faculties started to include Middle East studies relatively recently. Arabic studies and Asian studies are currently a core part of Oriental studies faculties, while before it mainly had Near Eastern and Far Eastern regions, languages, and culture.
Maybe you are interested in Asian studies? ARMACAD has covered the academic opportunities you have in this field.
Arabic studies teach you a language, but broader
Arabic studies are first of all about the Arabic language. Imagine that you will have the opportunity to study a language spoken by more than 310 mln people worldwide! This means you become a member of a large community of the same language carriers, which among all others, open vast business opportunities in front of you.
Many Arabic countries are key players in the international economy and business sector. Take Emirates as one example. Focus on Saudi Arabia if you want another example. Instead of finding translators, you will have the opportunity to communicate with your international business partners directly. Knowing their language will make them feel you closer, and therefore construct better business relations.
The critical thing here is that though the language will be the core part of the course, it will be taught in a significantly broader context than just linguistics. Mainly, you will explore an in-depth language by studying the Arabic country’s religion, culture, traditions, history. This means you will become a professional who can communicate with native Arabs like a native, understand their lifestyle & habits, and know much of their life.
You might guess that as the language is so popular, it has many dialects and variations which can’t be covered in a single-scope course. That’s why you will have different courses which will collect the puzzle of Arabic languages for you. The popular courses include Standard Arabic for speaking, Standard Arabic for writing, Egyptian Arabic, Other Arabic dialects, etc.
Experience Arabic lifestyle yourself
One of the amazing benefits of Arabic studies majors is that they grant you numerous study abroad opportunities in Arab countries. Students benefit from short-term summer or winter programs. They can even attend the countries for concise terms, such as one or two days to attend the Middle East or Arabic conferences and return to the host university. In contrast, there are also international placement programs, which usually organize student exchanges to Arabic countries from 1 to 3 years.
Though there are many opportunities, it would be great to apply and get accepted to Arabic studies faculty directly in Arabic countries. Firstly, in this way, you will not have to deal with the hassle of organizing your international studies through exchange or other student mobility programs. But most importantly, there is no better way to study language and culture than living in the community of natives.
The main subjects you will study within the program
- Middle East Cultures
- Media in the Arab World
- Politics in the Middle East
- Islam in Global Contexts
- Media and Cultural Studies
- Arab Culture
- Modern Arabic Literature
- Persian language, etc.
Arabic Studies research opportunities
Just like Arabic study programs, the Ph.D. and other research projects in the field also allow you to conduct your activities in the Arabic country. You might directly apply to a research project in an Arabic country if you have a degree in Arabic studies. The diplomas of the faculty are your ticket to deepening your studies in Arabic communities.
Below, we have gathered the most popular research topics to help you better navigate among the opportunities you have. Keep in mind that you can suggest a new research topic if you can prove its value and relevance in the modern world. As Arab countries started to play an increasingly vital role globally, suggesting new topics would not be difficult. The most popular dissertation and research topics that widely rotate among academic societies include the following.
- Concept of “honor” in Islam and Muslim and its impact on Muslim women
- Southern and Eastern Arabia languages
- Ethnolinguistic Analysis of Modern South Arabian
- Conflict and Democratisation in Arabic countries
- Biocultural diversity
Arabic studies will open the doors to almost 29 countries’ languages, cultures, and communication. This, in turn, will make you an outstanding professional with a strong cultural background, and you will be in demand in every role requiring communication and negotiations with Arabic people. We hope this section of ARMACAD will help you discover all the opportunities you have in the field.