JOURNALISM FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME
Develop your academic understanding of the media industry, improve your knowledge and focus on an in-depth piece of research away from the pressure of tight deadlines.
The media industry is undergoing profound change, and evolving practice means agile thinking and a deep understanding of the major issues and challenges are key to industry success.
As a Reuters Institute Journalist Fellow you’ll spend one, two or three terms at the University of Oxford, one of the world’s leading universities, where you’ll:
- Attend seminars given by a diverse and high-level range of guest speakers who will share their insights into key industry trends and developments
- Work with an experienced supervisor, usually an Oxford academic, to produce a research paper of publishable quality
- Visit world-class news organisations and gain insights into how they are approaching industry challenges. Previous visits have included trips to Thomson Reuters, The Financial Times, The BBC, The Economist and The Guardian
- Join trips to key UK cultural and political organisations and institutions. Previous destinations have included Oxfam, the House of Commons and Stratford-upon-Avon, home of Shakespeare
- Exchange ideas and experiences with a diverse and international peer group. Around 25 Fellows a year join us from high-level media organisations all over the world. Strengthen your network, develop a global set of contacts and gain insights into international trends and developments
- Benefit from the extensive learning facilities offered by the University of Oxford, including the world-famous Bodleian Library and access to various seminars and lectures across the university. You are also encouraged to engage with the university’s cutting edge specialist research facilities, including centres for African, Middle Eastern, South Asian, Eastern and Western European, Japanese and Chinese studies
- Be given visiting scholar status of Green Templeton College
HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be made using the online application form. *Open for applications* Lion Rock Spirit Fellowship for journalists based in Hong Kong.
If you have any queries regarding the fellowship programme or application process please first check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Please review the following steps to ensure the complete and timely submission of your application:
- Make sure you are eligible to apply
- Decide which fellowship funding you will apply for.
- Check the application deadlines.
- Check which application materials you need to prepare.
- Write the required research proposal and personal statement.
- Choose your work samples.
- Ask 2 people to write letters of recommendation.
- Complete the online application form, remembering to attach all the required application materials.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.