Title - Project Manager / Electoral Support Project in Armenia
Job ID - 19000
Practice Area - Job Family
Duty Station - Yerevan, Armenia
Education & Work Experience
I-Master's Level Degree - 5 year(s) experience
Languages - Armenian E, English
Grade - SB4
Vacancy Type - Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type - External
Bureau - Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration - 14 months
Only nationals of Armenia country are eligible to apply.
The Electoral Support Project in Armenia (ESPA) project is structured in a manner to provide targeted, coordinated assistance to the Government of the Republic of Armenia broadly around four key areas: ensuring the continued use of the new technology introduced in 2017 elections; assisting authorities in implementing new aspects of the electoral laws and procedures, including improving voter registration; improving voter education, particularly regarding the novelties in the electoral procedures and laws; and increasing political participation of women and young voters.
The ESPA is structured around three main outputs aimed to:
• Improve credibility of the electoral process
• Enhance inclusiveness and participation in the elections
• Strengthen capacity of the Central Electoral Commission.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under direct supervision of the ESPA Chief Technical Advisor (CTA), the incumbent will be responsible for day-to-day management and implementation of the project activities and delivery of outputs and results, in close cooperation with relevant government and international counterparts.
In particular the incumbent will be responsible for:
• Support the CTA in leading, supervising, and monitoring the project implementation process.
• Ensure the efficient operation of the Project Unit, including supervision of the project staff and national consultants.
• Ensure the development and efficient implementation of activities, as per the Project Document acting flexibly to adjust to implementing realities.
• Manage the Project budget and ensuring financial delivery.
• Liaise with the Government, civil society organizations, international partners etc., to ensure coordinated approach for implementation of Project activities.
• Develop critical partnerships and networks for the specific thematic areas; participate in the activities of coordinating bodies.
• Develop and submit reports to the implementing and responsible partners, and funding organizations on the financial and operational status of the Project.
• Providing guidance and technical expertise on the formulation of project strategies and proposals in the related fields.
• Provide analysis on global and local events in the press and on TV on election-related situation.
• Brief senior UN officials on the Project progress as relevant.
• Contribute to the preparation of the office collective products, including lessons learned papers, corporate planning and reporting tools, resource mobilization and advocacy materials, innovative and creative initiatives, blogs, interviews etc.
• Provide knowledge-driven policy advice and services to UNDP/UN and the Government in the related practice areas.
• Act as project assets custodian and ensure that the project assets are properly inventoried and reported to UNDP.
• Perform other duties as required.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Demonstrates a passion and energy for development projects
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP/UN
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- In-depth knowledge on development issues
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioural/attitudinal change.
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
• Advanced university degree in international affairs, development studies, political science, or related field.
• 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in project management and implementation. Hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of programmes/projects on electoral support or development.
• . Excellent knowledge of developments and trends, related legal and institutional framework in electoral sector, etc. is required.
• Experience of working in fast-paced office environment including working and negotiating with government authorities and international organizations.
• Experience in development of analytical documents, briefs and policy recommendations/papers.
• Familiarity with the UN in general and UNDP procedures in particular and/or previous experience with the UN is an asset.
• Strong managerial skills, proven ability to work under time pressure and handle multiple activities and tasks concurrently.
• Excellent analytical skills, with a strong track record of conceptualizing project activities in line with human rights based approaches and taking into account gender considerations and implications.
• Strong interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different social and cultural background.
• Excellent team working skills; aptitude in consulting and involving others, as well as building trust among others.
• Ability to deliver and reach the planned targets without undermining proper operational processes.
• Creativity, flexibility and an innovative approach to problem solving.
• Excellent skills in the use of computers and office software packages, good knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
• Written and oral fluency in English and Armenian.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Interested candidates can apply for the position here