Project Coordinator-Promotion and Protection of Human Rights in Armenia
Practice Area - Job Family Democratic Governance - HUMAN RIGHTS
Vacancy End Date 07.09.2017 (Midnight New York, USA)
Duty Station Yerevan, Armenia
Education & Work Experience I-Master's Level Degree - 5 year(s) experience
To support the Government of Armenia in advancing its Human Rights national agenda and meeting the commitments vis-à-vis European and international Human Rights instruments, UNDP, UNICEF and UNFPA with funding from the European Union launch a programme focusing on a number of priority areas under the framework of the National Strategy on Protection of Human Rights and the Action Plan of 2014-17, as well as the recommendations issued by International and Regional HR Mechanisms (including UPR, UN CEDAW, UN CRPD, UN CAT and SPT and UN CRC).
These priority areas are– by and large - aligned with the targets of the Human Rights Direct Budget Support programme of the European Union with following main components:
1. Protection from torture and ill-treatment;
2. Support adoption and enforcement of anti-discrimination law;
3. Prevention of gender-based violence;
4. Improved child protection systems;
5. Establishment of effective M&E systems for human rights sector.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under direct supervision of the UNDP Democratic Governance Programme Analyst, and in close coordination with focal points from UNICEF and UNFPA, the incumbent will be responsible for day-to-day management and implementation of the project activities and delivery of outputs and results, in close cooperation with relevant government and international counterparts.
Duties and Responsibilities
In particular the incumbent will be responsible for:
- Leading, supervising, and monitoring the project implementation process.
- Ensure the efficient operation of the Project Unit, including supervision of the project staff and national consultants.
- Ensure the development and efficient implementation of activities, as per the Project Document acting flexibly to adjust to implementing realities.
- Manage the Project budget and ensuring financial delivery.
- Liaise with the Government, civil society organizations, international partners etc. to ensure participatory approach for the development and implementation of project activities.
- Develop critical partnerships and networks for the specific thematic areas; participating in the activities of intergovernmental or other coordinating bodies.
- Develop and submit reports to the implementing and responsible partners, UNDP/UN, and funding organizations on the financial and operational status of the Project.
- Provide quality advisory services for UNDP/UN interventions in human rights sector and develop policy options for UNDP/UN interventions in collaboration with Government and other partners relevant to the project scope and stakeholders involved.
- Identify catalytic areas for UNDP/UN work in the areas of human rights and development.
- Coordinate development of project proposals in priority areas, identify potential funding sources.
- Providing guidance and technical expertise on the formulation of project strategies and proposals in the related fields; develop new project proposals and identify respective funding sources to ensure continuity of UNDP/UN activities in human rights sector.
- Liaise closely with UNDP’s/UN’s global and regional human rights advisors to ensure that Armenia is at the cutting edge of thinking in advancing protection of human rights, inequalities, etc.
- Provide analysis on global and local events in the press and on TV on human right situation.
- Brief senior UN officials on the human rights situation in Armenia as relevant.
- Contribute to the preparation of the office collective products, including policy papers, corporate planning and reporting tools, resource mobilization and advocacy materials, innovative and creative initiatives, blogs, interviews etc.
- Provide knowledge-driven policy advice and services to UNDP/UN and the Government in the related practice areas.
- Act as project assets custodian and ensure that the project assets are properly inventoried and reported to UNDP.
- Perform other duties as required.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioural/attitudinal change.
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced university degree in human rights, international affairs, development studies, political science, or related field.
At least 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in project management and implementation, of which 3 years in human rights sector.
Hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects
Excellent knowledge of human rights situation in the country, developments/trends, related legal and institutional framework.
Experience of working in fast-paced office environment including working and negotiating with government authorities and international organizations.
Experience in development of analytical documents, briefs and policy recommendations/papers.
Familiarity with the UN/UNDP policies and procedures and/or previous experience with the UN is an asset.
Strong managerial skills, proven ability to work under time pressure and handle multiple activities and tasks concurrently.
Excellent analytical skills, with a strong track record of writing proposals and conceptualizing project activities in line with human rights based approaches. and taking into account gender considerations and implications.
Strong interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different social and cultural background.
Excellent team working skills, aptitude in consulting and involving others, as well as building trust among others.
Ability to deliver and reach the planned targets without undermining proper operational processes.
Creativity, flexibility and an innovative approach to problem solving.
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc); knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in English and Armenian.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.