Japan Foundation Japanese Studies Fellowship Program
This program provides preeminent foreign scholars and researchers in the field of Japanese Studies with opportunities to conduct research in Japan, with the aim of supporting them and promoting Japanese Studies overseas. Experts in the fields of natural science, medical science, and engineering are excluded. There are three subcategories as follows.
Scholars and Researchers <Long-Term>
Applicants Scholars and researchers conducting research related to Japan (comparative research included) in the humanities and social sciences.
Duration 2 months (60 days) to 12 months
All of the following criteria must be met:
(1) Applicant must be a national/permanent resident of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. ＊Taiwanese applicants, including permanent residents of Taiwan, are eligible to apply for "Scholars and Researchers〈Long-Term〉" or "Doctoral Candidates."
(2) Previous recipients of a Japan Foundation fellowship, such as the Japanese Studies Fellowship or Abe Fellowship, are eligible to reapply only if, on April 1, 2016, a full three years has elapsed since completing their most recent fellowships. However, previous "Scholars and Researchers〈Short-Term〉" Fellows are eligible to reapply only if, on April 1, 2016, one full year has elapsed since completing their most recent fellowship.
(3) Applicants who have been in Japan continuously for more than a year dating back from April 1, 2016, are excluded.
(4) Applicants must have advanced proficiency in either Japanese or English to research and communicate.
(5) At the time of submitting an application, an advisor (to provide guidance) must be secured (except for "Scholars and Researchers〈ShortTerm〉"）.
(6) Undergraduates, students undertaking a Masters course, basic training in the Japanese language, technical skills and development of Japanese-language teaching materials, as well as training in the fields of art and traditional culture (e.g., tea ceremony, flower arrangement, etc.) are excluded.
(7) Program duration: shorter or longer periods than shown above are not allowed.
(1) Round-trip airfare (discount economy-class, airfare [most direct and economical route])
(2) Stipend and other allowances