Theme for IDYF2017
“What Is Development? Where Are We Heading?”
Based on our mission to “Design Our Future”, IDYF2017 aspires to redetermine the meaning of ‘development’. Selected participants from all over the world will be invited to discuss what each of us conceive an ideal society and common goals are, in order to draw feasible solutions to provided case studies.
The term ‘development’ has been treated with various definitions and ideas, such as economic growth, social progress, and community development. Different cultural backgrounds, experience, and occupations shape different individual values toward development, and lead to diversity in its ideal goal. Due to this complexity, problems in the field of development would not be solved without the collaborative efforts of individuals and groups. Hence, it is indispensable that those youth, who will play leading roles in the future development fields, share their views and discuss what development is.
IDYF provides the opportunities to gather and cultivate the ability to understand various forms of ideal ‘development’, for world youth who are inspired to make changes in the development fields, by working together toward a mutual goal.
Discussion Theme for IDYF 2017
“Corporation and Development”
Approximately 70% of all capital flowing into developing countries as a result of economic globalization consists of private investments, although ODA is also included as one of the capital flow in that statistics. Corporate activities are rapidly strengthening presence by bringing economic benefits, technological transfers, and job creations. However, they cause problems such as labor exploitation, environmental disruption, and cultural tensions. These are becoming ever more prominent, as varying definitions of ‘development’ are beginning to find recognition.
Therefore, as architects of future development, world youth from around the globe will meet in this forum to discuss the nature of development, including its goals and the roles of multinational corporations, in order to create a new vision for ‘development’ that addresses the limitations of our current economic system.
What Makes IDYF Special?
1. Incredible Diversity
In IDYF2015, there were 4500 applicants from approximately 162 developed or developing countries around the globe, and 44 successful youth from 34 countries participated. In the following year, we had 7 participants from Pekalongan region, Indonesia, where the case study of the year took place, and 35 other participants from about 27 countries who were chosen participated. People had different occupations such as university students, doctors, United Nation workers, technicians, journalists, or high school students. Youngsters who play various roles in different fields were able to work together and discuss the issues in international development. IDYF appreciates its participants’ great diversity.
2. An International Forum of Youth, by Youth, for Youth
Another unique part of IDYF is that it is an international forum of youth, by youth, for youth. This is the best environment for the young participants to think of new and original ideas. Also, not only the results of the forum, but also the process itself contains values and experiences that participants can take home.
3.Discussion based on Rich Information from the Field
Even though IDYF is an international forum for the next generation, we do not believe that it should end there at the end of one week’s forum by thinking about the ideal future of our society. When we face the reality, it is when we see the future. Therefore, at IDYF2017, we will spend greater time for interviews and feedback from professionals of the development field and encourage discussions with more details, statistics and information.
4.Support from Experts
Every year at IDYF, we have professionals from the international development field to give us lectures, and feedback. They also are the judges for the final presentation. Thanks to these kind supports, participants will be able to learn the forefronts and think deeply about international developments.
- Those who are 18 to 28 years old
- Those who have not participated in previous IDYFs
- Fluency in English for discussion and presentation
- Must be able to attend all programs during the forum
- Active in discussion
- Open-minded with creative ideas and diversified values
- Eager to tackle development problems, using the experience of IDYF2017
If you are selected to participate in IDYF 2017, you will be required to pay 25,000 JPY, which covers your accommodation, meals, and transportation fees during the forum (March 12th to 19th 2017).
*It doesn’t include transportation fees from the airport to the venue, accommodation fee before and after the program, or insurance.
*Optional tour on 19th is not covered.
*Payment details will be announced after the results of the selection.
Self-funded and Scholarship Applicantions
IDYF 2017 has two separate application types, one for self-funded candidates, and another for scholarship candidates. Note that you cannot apply for both.
Scholarships will be given to only one to three applicants with financial difficulties, which will cover
1. Flight tickets
2. Participation fee
Applicants who wish to apply for the scholarship must submit the application form for scholarship applicants, not the one for the self-funded applicants. Those who passed the document screening will be invited to Skype interview.
How To Apply
Please submit online application form by 27 November 2016, 23:59 JST (GMT/UTC +09:00). You can find the application forms for self-funded candidates and scholarship candidates in the original web page.
*Note that you cannot apply for both.
Essay questions in the application
1. Why do you want to participate in IDYF2017? (100-150 words)
2. What is one problem in the development field that you are most motivated to solve? (10-50 words)
3.1. Although there are many definitions for the term ‘development’, how would you define it? (100-200 words)
3.2. How do you think corporations can contribute to achieve the development, which you answer in question 4.1? (100-150 words)
4. What kind of role(s) have you played in the past group work you did? (approximately 100 words)
5. Describe your personality in one phrase. (approximately 20 words)
Example: “smiley facilitator -contribute to heated discussions-”
6. (*Scholarship applicants only) How will you contribute to IDYF2017? What are your advantages or past experiences that can be utilized during the forum? Please tick ONE box below as a theme of your essay. (200-300 words)
(1)Skills, experience, or knowledge in relation to "Garment industry in Bangladesh"
(2)Skills, experience, or knowledge in relation to "Soybean industry in Brazil"
(3)Skills, experience, or knowledge in relation to "Cut flowers industry in Kenya"
(4)Other skills, experience or knowledge
Application Deadline: 27 November 2016, 23:59 (JST)
- Applications that arrive after the deadline shall not be accepted.
- A confirmation email will be sent after successful submission. If not, please send us an email.
- You can submit the application form only once. Even if you submit more than twice, only the first one will be counted.
Interview for Scholarship candidates
- Those who passed the document screening will be invited to Skype interview.
- The schedule of interview will be informed via email by December 6th, and the interview will be held from 7th to 11th, December.
- Interviews are not held for self-funded candidates
Announcement of Selection
- Successful applicants will be notified of their results on our website by December 18th. We will post the list of the applicants who passed our selection.
- If you are selected as a member of IDYF2017, we will send you an e-mail to confirm your participation in our forum. In case you didn’t pass this selection process, we will not send any information to you.
- Once you passed the selection, you cannot cancel your participation.
Other Things to Note
Participants are to arrange required visa on their own.
As this may take some time, please complete it well before your trip to Japan. If you require any documents (e.g. invitation letter), please inform us so that we could provide you with them.
Visa expenses are not included in the participation fee.
Accommodation before and after the program
For those who wish to stay in Japan before or after the forum, please arrange your accommodation by yourself.
The expenses will not be covered by IDYF 2017.
Optional Sightseeing Tour
On March 19th, sightseeing tour will be organized in Tokyo. The details of the tour will be announced later.
*It is not covered by participation fee for the forum (25,000JPY).
For more information please click on "Further official information" below.